Anxiety or psychosis? Induced by tolerance and interdose wd from lorazepam

[Da...]

Hi,

Been having increasingly scary symptoms: where I feel like I'm in different places, blank mind,  nothing feels real, confusion,  family don't look familiar, can't feel anything including emotions, can't make sense of things, memory loss, constant flashbacks, feel like I'm in a strange dream, if I look at my phone then go to do something else it's like I'm getting after images of what I've been reading online, I've also heard a few voices. Mood changes and personality change..There are many other symptoms, including a lot of difficulty keeping balance and low BP/high heart rate.. Has anyone experienced this from being on lorazepam/Ativan for a long time (a year for me) and having tolerance? I speak to a charity who support me with benzo  cross over and taper. They said they've spoken to many people who have had psychosis symptoms from lorazepam. I'm so worried this is all permanent as well and I'll never get my normal mental functioning back. I'm  worried if I come off I will be completely psychotic.

I had severe anxiety before  I went on lorazepam but I didn't have psychosis.

I'm sorry if this is not in the right place.

Thank you for reading x

It sounds like your mental symptoms are much stronger than your physical, but what you describe is absolutely normal and they’re temporary.  This isn’t psychosis, this is just stupid benzo’s and you can recover.

Your signature states you’re crossing over to Valium, what is your status on that? 

Hi Pamster,

Thank you for your reply.  Initially I was put on diazepam/valium straight from lorazepam, I lasted four days and couldn't stand up from the sedation. I then went back to lorazepam 05mg am and diazepam 2 or 4 mg pm. The afternoon dose was not consistent because somedays I was too sedated to take it as I'm also on mirtazapine at night. I done this for about another week or so then I got a bad cold/flu virus(not covid) and was really ill. I thought it was the diazepam causing the flu symptoms and went back to lorazepam pm because I wasn't coping and have a family.

The problems I had with diazepam were : sedation, trouble swallowing, bloated and painful stomach, anger out of nowhere after one particular dose which scared me, could barely stand, shallow breathing. The only good thing about the diazepam was that I didn't feel so confused and didn't have so many of the psychosis symptoms. I think I need to do this in a hospital type setting..I'm also quite slim and really struggle to maintain even this low weight. I'm guessing being low weight doesn't help as the diazepam was probably making more sedated than it would if I was a bigger person but I'm not sure.

My doctor told me to continue with the lorazepam but I can't long term the psychosis symptoms are getting worse. I literally cannot relax ever. My mood is erratic. I'm under a mental health team, they put me on the lorazepam without informing me of any of this. Now they won't help me that the drug has turned on me.

I hate to see you give up on the diazepam since the Lorazepam is so troublesome for you, would you consider giving it another try but do the crossover much slower this time?

If you decide you’d like to try it again, its important to give the process time, making changes based on the effects you’re feeling seems logical but when it comes to this, we have to suffer long enough to determine if this is the way its going to be or if its transitory and will settle soon.  Because diazepam is so slow acting, we have to make changes in slow motion.  It’s also important to be consistent and not react in the moment, slow and steady reductions, decisions and changes.

Hi Pamster, yes I have no real choice but to try the diazepam again because the lorazepam tolerance is already hell, never knowing how I'll react to each dose. Just not sure how slowly to do it this time. I don't think I could taper the lorazepam with the symptoms I'm already getting.

I have reacted in the moment in a state of panic because I've tried to stay a little bit functional for my daughter but in the long run lorazepam isn't serving any purpose now.

I'm also having problems where I'm walking outside and  my sense of balance and coordination is really affected, my right side goes numb with a pain in my head. This also feels benzo related but could be low BP/high hr or hemiplegic migraine. I just want to walk like I'm not drunk all the time. I used to a competitive cyclist and now I can barely walk around the house, it's crazy..

I can certainly understand you wanting to be there for your daughter, you need to function, life doesn’t stop challenging us just because we’re trying to withdraw from a drug, it would be nice if we could call timeout but this process takes too long.

Maybe you could start a thread on the substitution board and we could try to map out a plan for your cross and what comes next. 

I want you to know I see more competitions in your future if that’s where your passion still is, life comes back in all of it’s glory when we heal, keep this in mind, okay?

Hi,

Been having increasingly scary symptoms: where I feel like I'm in different places, blank mind,  nothing feels real, confusion,  family don't look familiar, can't feel anything including emotions, can't make sense of things, memory loss, constant flashbacks, feel like I'm in a strange dream, if I look at my phone then go to do something else it's like I'm getting after images of what I've been reading online, I've also heard a few voices. Mood changes and personality change..There are many other symptoms, including a lot of difficulty keeping balance and low BP/high heart rate.. Has anyone experienced this from being on lorazepam/Ativan for a long time (a year for me) and having tolerance? I speak to a charity who support me with benzo  cross over and taper. They said they've spoken to many people who have had psychosis symptoms from lorazepam. I'm so worried this is all permanent as well and I'll never get my normal mental functioning back. I'm  worried if I come off I will be completely psychotic.

Thank you for reading x

Hi DArk Cat-

The response below are great! I want to add a little.

Ive been on 3mg for35 years of Klonopin 1mg 3 times a day.

I remember the first time a Doctor just changed me to Tegretol or something after a couple of years and I had no clue what to expect as I was just going along-

Basically I learned the brain has a Parasympathetic mode and sympathetic.

Benzos dont have proper guidelines to withdrawal as other drugs do  in a detox setting with a regimen. Barbiturates may help a bit but that's another mess.

I'm going off how my Doctor told me yesterday- And own experiences. When the brain has the drugs its in a sympathetic its slow and mellow.

Removing the Benzos abruptly or too fast the whole Nervous system in the brain and brain stem etc... parasympathetic goes nuts causing every brain cell and nerve in the body to light up and  fire up! Its the sickest feeling and horrific and I'm coming to believe only Benzos can help Benzos. Everything gets over sensitive and you hear thing possible hallucinations- very psychotic feeling

You are or experience Neurophysiological feelingsand like me less physical withdrawals.

That first time I didn't know it was because Klonopin was removed I thought it was the tegrotol or something but after a few days of laying in my car I was having extreme scarey mental horrifying feelings- Out of my body, I was frozen I could not explain to anyone- Finally I went to my Klonopin and took a couple and that went away. My Doctor had no idea what I was talking about as this was 1992 or so,

But I can only recommend- If that happens bump your dosage up untill that goes away and go from there- Dont let that happen as you know it feels like were nuts. Follow others advice read the Manuals- try and get a good doctor on board but don let yourself go through that tourture- Ive been through it so many times and no more.

Thanks Pamster and Apaulo13. I really need to get back onto the diazepam somehow but I'm also scared because I was too sedated on it and couldn't function at all .

The psychiatrist also mentioned Clonazepam (Klonopin) as an alternative. I've just spoken to the crisis team due to the psychosis symptoms and the lady I spoke to said diazepam is more addictive than lorazepam. I didn't argue with her but I don't see how that's true.

Apaulo13, when you had these scary mental symptoms, were you CTd off the Klonopin? I'm still taking the lorazepam and having these crazy symptoms so I'm not sure if I'm just experiencing psychosis anyway. 

Thanks Pamster and Apaulo13. I really need to get back onto the diazepam somehow but I'm also scared because I was too sedated on it and couldn't function at all .

The psychiatrist also mentioned Clonazepam (Klonopin) as an alternative. I've just spoken to the crisis team due to the psychosis symptoms and the lady I spoke to said diazepam is more addictive than lorazepam. I didn't argue with her but I don't see how that's true.

Apaulo13, when you had these scary mental symptoms, were you CTd off the Klonopin? I'm still taking the lorazepam and having these crazy symptoms so I'm not sure if I'm just experiencing psychosis anyway.

Dark-Cat7

Let me research something for you OK? Also see if Pamster chimes in again- Im newer on here- and have experience but I dont what to misinform.

But Im glad that I was put onto the Klonopin as it seems to bee the one that people with the most years have been on to some extent- in the Ashton Manual links she has so so much info but it can be hard to follow- I recall when it first came out in late 90's She mentioned to get to Klonopin and then gives taper ideas then eventually to Valium (Diazapm) because the pills can be broken and smaller mg's to stretch out to finish taper.

Ive never tried Lorazepam (Ativan) as Im used of hearing people going to ER with what is or feels like a heart attack and given Ativan. I'm gonna guess and say Ativan is quicker acting then Diazepam.

I personally feel that Clonazapam seems to be the most consistent but I'm only speculating.

If you did not have Psychoses -Im going to say you dont have it now. But I will say again- The bazerk and CNS receptors or whatever go literally bonkers and everything feels inexplicable and like were literally going crazy. Its the worse and just know itll go away but your meds are off.

Ive decided to not taper off- I posted last night- I have underlying issues and I can take the ups and downs. But i know what is from the meds and what is not according to me body head and experiences.

I can only suggest- ask if they can put you on Klonopin-They make brand name again if they will get it and if your in the US- Many generics suck and dont help the problem.

Try to perhaps take .5 mg three times a day and depending on how long the valium and Ativan has been in your system- eith stop them or taper them down.

You sound desperate- Hang in there please!

If your in touch with a Chrisis team- you may want to check into the ER and let them help you swithch over?

The symptoms you mention ar the worst one s I feel- But nerves are sensitive and when they fire up we have no control .

I want to check something ona different computer-  If that answered your question- the best to you! If not ask away and i or someone will answer.

Im not going anywhere- Im just going to search all those meds you mentioned closer- Also- dont enter any non benzos into your system as it will further the issue- ill be back

Hi,

Thank you for reading x

Scroll down a bit and click the link- "Derealization-depersonalization,...etc...

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#9

How long have you been doing the crossover to Valium, most members say the sedation goes away once your body gets used to it, they’re most always glad they stuck it out.

Hi Apaulo13, thank you for your detailed answer. Yes Ativan is short acting and quicker acting but this leads to interdose withdrawal and tolerance. I'm not sure if it's causing the psychosis symptoms or if they would have happened anyway.

Im not in the US and our health system is broken. If I walked into the emergency department asking to withdraw from alcohol they'd help me. If I walk in there asking to swap to diazepam to taper they'll send me straight back out. I'm going to go back to my doctor because the psychosis symptoms are getting worse. Maybe its depersonalization derealization but whatever it is, it's scaring me. I literally feel like I've gone mad. I'm trying to be the best mum I can but it's breaking my heart having to live like this. I don't know how others are doing this when they have little people relying on them.

Do you think it could be psychosis by the symptoms?

I read that Klonopin binds more tightly the receptors but not sure how true this is and whether it's a safer alternative to stop the interdose withdrawal. I know its longer acting so that's one plus.

Again, thank you Apaulo13 for your support. I'm also on mirtazapine 7.5mg at night, been on since September 2022.

I am desperate, I've been ill for so long now I don't know what normal is.

Hi Pamster- I tried the cross over for 3 weeks but went back to lorazepam because I had a flu virus and couldn't cope with sedation/virus/family commitments. Now I'm in a dilemma where my doctor says to stick with lorazepam and try lamotrogine (which I just cannot do right now as I already feel so ill).  As I said, the only good thing about the diazepam was that things were making more sense/didn't feel so confused/felt like I knew where I was.