Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Zolpidem withdrawal vs Other Benzos

[Ph...]

I am currently at 0.25 on taper on Ativan. But i am still taking 10mg Zolpidem a night. I want to taper the Ativan first. But understand that Zolpidem can be difficult as well.

Any experienced with this?

For reference i’ve been on Ativan and Zolpidem for a little over 2 months. Started Ativan on Jan 30th but had down days before i became dependent. Then started Zolpidem on Feb 24th.

Quite a few of us have had a fairly easy time getting off of Ambien but others haven’t been so lucky.  It’s classified as a non-benzodiazepine but its a close cousin and can cause many of the same symptoms.  I’ll typically suggest tapering off the Ambien first because of its short half life but Ativans isn’t much longer so whatever you feel comfortable doing will work. 

My taper off zolpidem (Ambien) was much easier than my valium taper. Much. Of course everyone's different, but I hope that gives you encouragement.

:thumbsup:

Katz

I’m gonna go with getting off Ambien before Ativan. Think i want to try a more rapid taper of Ambien and see how it goes. I want to make a switch from Ativan to Valium as well but dont think i want to still be on Ambien when i start valium due to the sleepiness combination. Figure i can get off the Ambien a little more quickly.

This sounds like an excellent plan.  The only symptom I experienced on stopping Ambien cold turkey was insomnia but I expected and accepted it and I think I was sleeping well about 2 weeks later.

Oh that is good to hear!  I was going to go a little slower off the ambien.  I'm not terribly scared of the insomnia but am scared of potential anxiety/akathisia flair ups.  You said the insomnia lasted 2 weeks.  Are you talking nights with 0 sleep for nearly 2 weeks.  You are giving me hope regardless!!

I was almost back to pre-Klonopin and Ambien sleep habits after 2 weeks, I think I only had 2 0r 3 nights of no or no perceived sleep but it started inching up after that. 

Yes, please do taper, I don’t want anyone following in my footsteps in how I get off of these medications, I can’t taper, its not in my make-up.  :idiot: