Watch out for fortified and enriched foods---this truly helped me a bit!!

[Fr...]

I  experminted and this brought me a little bit of relief that I desparately needed. I, like many others here, react horribly to supplements and vitamins and well, everything ---BUT---I found this out and it is making things bearable.

I react to everything---calcium and vitamin D supplements---Vitamin C supplements ---literally everything---and I mean in even VERY small doses, and here's what changed, and this might help those in my position. I was drinking rice milk and almond milk---and they have 30% of the daily requirements for calcium and Vitamin D---and a bunch of other vitamins in it---the same with the almond milk---and I was going through my skin 24/7. I thought it was the calcium and the vitamin D---which it WAS---BUT---only becsause it wasnt naturally in it. When foods or drinks are fortified I was told, it is essentially like taking the vitamins in a supplement for. Same with Calcium enriched orange juic---the vitamin C is natural, but the calcium is not. I was told that when foods and drinks are enriched like this, the vitamins hit you at once, and in a different way than when it is natural. Here;s what I tried---and it helped.

I tried drinking Lactose Free Skim Milk ( I was intolerant to Lactose, which is why I drank Rice milk and Almond Milk)-----anyways---I dont feel the calcium and Vitamin D in that at all, but I cant take the Rice or Almond milk---because the calcium and D isnt natural. I also started making a vegetable smoothie with just fresh veges---no supplements--- and make sure that the veges are high in vitamin C. Now, the smoothie isnt tasty---it has brussel sprouts ( yuch) and broccoli ( yuch)---BUT---Im drinking it for the vitamins. Anyways---I have no reaction to that either---but the Vitamin C enriched products and the supplents ( just 50% of the daily requirements)caused me much anxiety. The same with Omega 3's---when I eat salmon ( canned)---Im fine, but a simple 1/2 teaspoon of fish oil sends my anxiety skyrocketing---and it has worked that way with everything.

IF you are eating or drinking anything fortifed with Vitamins or whatever---see, if you stop it and replace wit with stuff that has the vitamins naturally might help. I am doing horribly---BUT----I am doing a little better as far as my anxiety ever since i made this change. You might find it annoying to have to eat Kale for calcium or eat sardines or salmon for the Omegas ---but if you have anxiety---this just might help a bit. None of this is partiuclarly tasty and my morning smoothie is not a treat, but it does get us the vitamins---and there is no added anxiety. It took 2 days before i noticed----and at least I can think straight part of the day. I have tried the rice milk and other stuff to test, and I get more anxiety. Maybe this might help a bit, because this is a long, horrid road that we are on---but try avoiding anything that is fortified in any way---and paying attention to the food where everything is natural in it---and see if it helps. It certainly wont hurt---:)

I just finished a breakfast of broccoli and brussels sprouts with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar ...very good!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your post...now I don't feel so alone.  :laugh:

Kat

Thank you so much for confirming something i actually discovered last night. i too, am sustaining myself with smoothies. i use oats, greek yogurt, blueberries, bananas, egg whites, olive oil, spinach, mango, ground flax seeds, unsweetened cherry or cranberry juice. i sometimes change up the fruit and veggies. And until last night i was using a new brand of Almond milk (unsweetened)....for about a week... and i thought it was safe. i was having horrible symptoms and didn't seem to stabilize. when i read the label i noticed it had carrageen (which is MSG in disguise). it is also fortified! and i had planned to stop using it this morning to see if i noticed a difference. Mine usually tastes pretty awful too, but i can tolerate it and it is so healthy.

your post was very timely!!

any other ideas for the shake? is the amount of sugar in OJ ok?

thanks,

jeanie

Hi Guys---Kat, I found that combination does the trick pretty well for me. 1 serving of broccoli and 7 brussel sprouts ( I have them blended) have 150% of the rda for Vitamin C---and one and a half times the amount as in a glass of orange juice, and I can avoid the sugar rush too. Its also got alot of fiber---I add Kale for calcium too---and in general, no matter the combination, I make sure that I have over 100% of the days Vitamin C and at least 20% of the day's calcium . So far, Im reacting pretty well---no revving of symptons, and I know Im getting the vitamins.

Jeannie, You have that covered pretty well and thanks for the info about carrogeen in the Almond Milkas I react terribly to MSG, so that might  account for part of my bad reaction to Almond Milk. I revved through the roof !! For your smoothies, I might suggest peanut butter---which I like alot in them. I also use canned Pumpkin, which is great--high in vitamin A and Fiber---very good for you. One of my favorites is oatmeal, Pumpkin, Lowfat Ricotta, and stevia . If you dont know Ricotta is an Italian cheese---mushy consistency---high in calcium and protein and the protein it is high in is Whey Protein which is the protein of choice, especially in the mornings. I cant have it alot because I have rosacea and it breaks me out if I eat it too often, but it doesnt rev my system. If you dont have any probs with Dairy you might really like this. So Id suggest, peanut butter or any nut butter, Pumpkin, lowfat Ricotta and have you ever tried Carob Powder??---Tastes close to chocolate but doesnt raise your blood sugar.Its very good and has vitamins too---Carob Powder is what I use.

I can say that changing this has helped get me to a place of coherency as far as my symptons---that's all I can hope for right now---I am still virtually handicapped at presnt---and I still get confused form anxiety and symptons----but this has helped me get some hold on it. I find all supplements just impossible---I have tried---I just cant tolerate even the lowest doses of them, but I can have 60% of my days calcium in two 8 ounce glasses of milk---and not rev at all, yet just 10% of the day's calcium in powder??---and Im a basket case---try this---let me know if it helps at all and let me know if you try any of those smoothie extras.:)

I almost forgot---Jeannie---but I would personally keep an eye on the orange juice and other juices.  If you LOVE them, that's one thing, and then I guess you should try to find a comfort level with them, but if your drinking them for morning vitamins, Id suggest using the vegetables until you are more evened out. The sugars in fruit reacts the same as regular sugar in our bodies and I get very revved from them, but the vegetables should be fine.Lemme know...