Tapering large cuts in the beginning safe?

[Ov...]

I don’t know how much benzos I was using since September.  (benzo cut fentanyl) The past week I’ve been on 3mg Klonopin and it’s making me really tired and non functional..falling asleep for naps ect. 

Is it okay to go straight down to 2mg at once because it seems I’m taking too much. 

I’ve heard larger cuts at the beginning is easier than toward the lower doses.   

Given your medication history, I would be cautious about making such a large reduction. Have you considered reducing the daytime doses a bit to see if that helps with the tiredness?

Here’s a video from a benzo-wise psychiatrist on the science behind hyperbolic tapers (i.e., making larger reductions at the beginning of the taper and smaller reductions at the end):

Should I do a Hyperbolic Taper? What you need to know

Given that I wake up unrested and wasn’t like that before I think I’ve started way too high.  Definitely ready to cut to 1mg or 1.5. 

Thanks for the info,  was hoping someone would have an opinion on this quick :)

Hi- I think if it has only been a week of the 3mg dose, you would be ok to go to the 1mg or 1.5.  Your body will let you know for sure in about 3 days of so.  Benzo’s are tricky for sure and everyone is different and how quickly they can become dependent on them.  Again, one week and I think you just might be in the safe zone.  Talk with your doctor too. 

Are you planing to taper off the 1 or 1.5 mg? If so have you decided on a taper plan? 

Congratulations on getting off of the Fentanyl  :thumbsup:

Marie

Hi..

I’m just back from a loooong break, -Just getting my bearings and saw this..

I’m not in a position to get in too deep right now given how complex and individual it all can be, but noted similar meds, and perhaps doses, etc..?

I just wanted to say I was one that did well dropping huge initial chunks of meds, but really struggled at the sub therapeutic (perhaps considering tolerance too) end, and the fine tuning of neurochemistry, esp, like you mention, dopamine.. For me Atleast, there is much more to it than just meds..

I’m still in it, but have learnt a bit about my own situation while away, which I need to decipher before I can communicate it properly..

Best wishes..

:)

Ps.. Hi Lib, -Everyone.. :)

-Whill dig up my blog when I get a chance..

Hi..

I’m just back from a loooong break, -Just getting my bearings and saw this..

I’m not in a position to get in too deep right now given how complex and individual it all can be, but noted similar meds, and perhaps doses, etc..?

I just wanted to say I was one that did well dropping huge initial chunks of meds, but really struggled at the sub therapeutic (perhaps considering tolerance too) end, and the fine tuning of neurochemistry, esp, like you mention, dopamine.. For me Atleast, there is much more to it than just meds..

I’m still in it, but have learnt a bit about my own situation while away, which I need to decipher before I can communicate it properly..

Best wishes..

:)

Ps.. Hi Lib, -Everyone.. :)

-Whill dig up my blog when I get a chance..

So nice to see you back…I have taken some long breaks myself.  It will be good to have your input around here.

Marie

I’m not sure how to taper from 1mg klonapin .. do most people just use a scale and a razor?  Cut like 5% each time I suppose?

Hi Over-  There are different ways to taper and you can find them on the boards.  There is cut and hold, and you do a % of your dose every 1-2 weeks (or whatever you choose). This can be done with a razor and scale like you mentioned, or having your medicine compounded at a compound pharmacy, or making your own liquid.  There is also daily micro tapering, and this can be done both dry and liquid, or a combo.  I personally do a daily micro taper and a combo of pill/liquid.  I find this to be more gentle and I had less sx.

Hope that helped…

Marie