coping with the anxiety

[ha...]

Greetings:  had some questions my mom was on 2MG's of Lorasapam for 8+ years.  She detoxed over a 4 month period at 72 years old.  Anxiety is there and they have given her the below meds.  The worst anxiety is when walking has anyone seen any issues like this and learned how to cope with them?  Below are what the great Psyc MD has her on and they want to increase the doses the the max next month.  We as a family are thinking what will it hurt to get rid of the drugs and let the body heal since each time she gets these meds she feels much worse.  I respect your jouney looking from the outside i would never want this for anyone.  Just want to know any ideas. Also as a family member is there anything special i should be doing to help.

1.setraline 25mg daily

2. Busbar 10 MG Twice a day

3. Trazdone 1000mg at bed time

brad

You mention her worst anxiety is when she’s walking, did you mean upon awakening or is it when she’s walking?

I can’t comment on the effectiveness of the drugs your mom has been put on but I can tell you that we’ve never seen one drug help all, what helps one can hurt another because our nervous system is so sensitive while going through this.  I can also say that we don’t react to new medications or supplements like we would normally.

How long has she been on these medications?  It’s a tricky place to be in, if she stops taking them will she feel better or will another change upset an already precarious situation?  But if the drugs haven’t helped, does it make sense to take even more?

I wish I had answers for you because I can see how much you care but we’re all so different, we can’t predict how this will go.

Appreciate your reply :) in my life i have never seen anything like this.  My mom has told the psyc that she is going to take the chance of tapering off the buspar and the other one.  Only stay on the trazidone for now.  This has become a passion of mine right now and i empathize with what everyone is going through and hope to never get into this situation.  The Doctors also wanted to max the dosage out on both my mom said she was concerned abotu the ultra sensitify to drugs and everything else at this point.  i agree with her worth taking a shot allowing the body to try to heal itself.  We made it throught the detox from Lorasapam she has been clean for 7 months already.  She never was a addicted but followed doctors orders.  Appreciate you all prayers and good health to everyone

It’s so difficult to know what to do, a drug got your mom into this mess, can more drugs get her out?  Have you ever listened to the drug commercials where they say “This drug is thought to do this or that?”  They don’t really know how these drugs work so they have to say, “is thought”, now how scary is that? 

Is throwing more drugs at an already compromised brain the answer when its working so hard to get back normal function?  On the other hand, if these drugs can safely ease some of her pain, shouldn’t she take advantage of them?

As you know, there are no easy answers so that leaves it up to our guts to guide us, no one size fits all so we have to rely on ourselves for answers at a time when we’re in no shape to make these critical decisions.

Pamster:  i agree there are difficult answer and questions at all angles on this.  Today has not been a easy one for my mom.  Instead of tappering her off one of the medications it was cold turkey she will be ok in a couple of days but today has been a detox day as I call it.  But the doctors only have one weapon  meds meds and more meds.  i am not against it when there is a plan and the person actually looks at the medical history.  So many don't they speak to you for 15 minutes and then the script pad comes out :) just craziness

brad

I’m sorry to hear she’s having a rough time, and the thing is, there are many drugs that won’t make you suffer for months and years when you discontinue them, psychiatric drugs, especially benzodiazepines don’t seem to be in that class, at least for us.  I hope her discomfort is short lived. 

If her doctors want to put her on other medications, I’d suggest coming here to see how others have reacted to them.  It’s not a guarantee she’ll feel the same but a heads up about what could happen is a good idea.