Thyroid issues

[El...]

Anyone else having trouble getting their thyroid levels stabilized?  Mine have been all over the place and I'm having a terrible time getting doctors to believe me and test often enough to make changes.  Over the last 19 months, I have been on anywhere from 150 mg - 50 mg of thyroid medicine.  I know benzos affect it, but once we are off, it really goes crazy.  I'd love to hear your experience with it.
  • Like 1

Hi! Yes! I’ve been hypothyroid (with Hashimotos) since ‘07 and when I started tapering I became actually hyperthyroid. I started having my endocrinologist do bloodwork every month to check this (and a few other things), to stay on top of it. She didn’t mind doing it bc she knew how these affect the HPA axis and the hypothalamus controls our hormones, thyroid being one of them (adrenals, reproductive hormones, thyroid, body temp, and on). Benzos can greatly affect the hypothalamus hence why we have so many symptoms in this area.

My Dr made no changes to my medicine bc she didn’t want to chase things as intapered. She said we will monitor levels and let’s see how your brain corrects overtime with med amount you’ve always taken. Each month for awhile I was all over the place but it’s evened out over time. I never got into a dangerous category or else she would have altered med amount bc thyroid stuff is very important, but since she had a close eye on things every month she felt confident not trying to out my body on a rollercoaster with med adjustment each month.

Hope you can discuss further with your Dr but I’ve seen many people mention their levels evened out over time. Some people had wacky thyroid numbers during taper or once off benzo, then diagnosed with a thyroid issue only to not have it at all once full recovery took place.

Sending hugs your way!

Hi! Yes! I’ve been hypothyroid (with Hashimotos) since ‘07 and when I started tapering I became actually hyperthyroid. I started having my endocrinologist do bloodwork every month to check this (and a few other things), to stay on top of it. She didn’t mind doing it bc she knew how these affect the HPA axis and the hypothalamus controls our hormones, thyroid being one of them (adrenals, reproductive hormones, thyroid, body temp, and on). Benzos can greatly affect the hypothalamus hence why we have so many symptoms in this area.

My Dr made no changes to my medicine bc she didn’t want to chase things as intapered. She said we will monitor levels and let’s see how your brain corrects overtime with med amount you’ve always taken. Each month for awhile I was all over the place but it’s evened out over time. I never got into a dangerous category or else she would have altered med amount bc thyroid stuff is very important, but since she had a close eye on things every month she felt confident not trying to out my body on a rollercoaster with med adjustment each month.

Hope you can discuss further with your Dr but I’ve seen many people mention their levels evened out over time. Some people had wacky thyroid numbers during taper or once off benzo, then diagnosed with a thyroid issue only to not have it at all once full recovery took place.

Sending hugs your way!

Thank you so much for responding!  My TSH has been as low as 0.169 and as high as 38.9 during this process.  (ref. range is .4- 4.5)  I'm having the hardest time getting doctors to listen to me because they don't have experience with benzo withdrawal.  All I want is to have it checked more often until it stabilizes.