A way to reduce anxiety related to memory/time deficits

[me...]

So somethign I've been noticing as I've been healing - and now that I'm not in severe withdrawal, is that while I can remember going to places in the last week - and doing things - I CANNOT put them in order in terms of time - what happened first - when I made spaghetti for dinner - when I went to the pet store - any of it. I DO have episodic memory of actually being there - but do NOT have a general sense of time - nor do I find it easy to remember immediately what happened yesterday - I really have to think hard about it.  When someone TELLS me, I can remember easily - but on my own, I can't grab onto it. 

Fine.

Fixing THAT for $6.  :)

I bought a weekly/monthly planner at Wal-Mart tonight - and I'm recording in it each day what I did that day - the highlights and the general picture. Each morning, I'm going to re-orient to the past day, few days, week, few weeks, etc. Along with just being a great tool for planning and jotting down the things I WANT to remember that are important to me, it will help my memory begin to reform. It's less of a to-do list and more of a overall way to help retrain the brain. 

When I was a therapist working with patients with traumatic brain injury, we had the patients do this kind of thing. I never imagined I'd be in that situation, but the feelign of waking up and being able to orient to yesterday "on my own"  - even if I have to use a compensatory strategy, is helpful and helps me feel in control of my life - versus a victim.  It also helps us hold a mental picture of what occured and how that fits with what is happening now.

Just passing it along as help!

Hi Meredith.  I've struggled some with memory issues on this benzo journey too.  Seems like I need to write more things down. That's an excellent idea to keep a journal.  Isn't it ironic that after doing it with your patients with brain injury that you can now apply the same skill to your own post benzo journey :).  Coming from the same profession, I also feel like keeping a journal can be very helpful although I don't remember to do it sometimes :D;D.  I've been journaling my food mostly, since being on a low carb diet the last four or five months to lose weight. I think it's helpful to also journal some of the activities too.  Check out the Progress Log section where a buddy named Albie has made up his own form which he fills in every day.  Anyhow, good stuff. 

Keep keepin on,

Vertigo

This is a wonderful idea!  I also struggle with this weird "time" thing!    Thanks!

I had no idea that you two worked with TBI.  I do also!  :yippee: 

Meredith- I have had the same thought as you.  "Never thought I would be dealing with this issue myself."  I feel lucky that this is recoverable,  and have been using my past knowledge to try to help myself.

God sure does work in mysterious ways.    Once this is over, I will have gained a very exceptional insight that will make me all the better at at my job, and even more compassion for what they are going through.

I'm just getting my time back somewhat.  I had a problem with tomorrow and yesterday.  I could handle now, but later was a problem too. :-\