Buspirone Years After Benzos

[Be...]

Been off Benzos for years. I've now started to tackle my ADHD and have been taking Ritalin which has been great. Since Ritalin has been working I've been thinking of adding in a panic attacks suppression medication. My friend takes buspirone and said it helps. I want to make 110% sure this will not interfere with my prior benzodiazapine "physical addiction" that will throw me back into withdrawal. Has anyone found medicine that helps with panic attacks? Ritalin has helped tremendously but sometimes I do get panic especially if I forget to eat all day.

If you're benefiting from the Ritalin, that's great.

I personally don't know of any "safe" way of testing the waters with any medication.

You just have to give it a try...whatever medication.

For panic attacks, besides a benzo....hmmm

Effexor may help you.

It's all trial and error. That's just it.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Buspar should not throw you back into benzo w/d. I have tried Buspar but it was completely ineffective for me. For those that it works for, it is a much better longterm option than benzos for medical management, again IMO. If you decide to try it, please come back and update.

• 1 month later...

Beenthroughit,

I saw this post and wanted to pop in to say that I have been taking buspirone for 10 weeks (started when I was tapering off Xanax) and it has helped me tremendously. I am taking a very low dose 5mg 3x daily) and it’s doing the job. I hope this helps!

Bri ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

Beenthroughit,

I saw this post and wanted to pop in to say that I have been taking buspirone for 10 weeks (started when I was tapering off Xanax) and it has helped me tremendously. I am taking a very low dose 5mg 3x daily) and it’s doing the job. I hope this helps!

Bri ❤️

Yes, we are all different. I read that it was inneffective for most people (in regards to benzo withdrawal), but I take 10 mgs three times per day and find that it does give me some relief, especially in regards to rebound anxiety. It has not presented any "new" side effects that I wasn't already experiencing on benzos. I have 5 mgs remaining in my taper and plan on sticking with Buspirone until I heal for a while.

Best of luck.