Predatory Prescribers / Ashton in a bottle?

[Po...]

Predatory Doctor

With the “Benzo s bad, no more for you, you bad evil person” ideology

that seems commonplace in the mainstream medical community, there also seems to be a cropping up

of Dr.s  and clinicians now willing fill the space and put out their shingle with sympathetic open arms to those of us looking for a soft landing, or good guidance on tapering if not quitting altogether.

In other words, those willing to prescribe,  wearing the cloak of Ashton, to make a buck or two, preying upon the absolute terrors of those of us dependant or addicted to Benzos, as you like.

Can we find ourselves flagged for going to these doctors and being prescribed what may seem to pharmacists as odd concoctions of multiple benzo types? Are doctors able to be checked out by us to see if they have any questionable backgrounds?

Should you or would you actually trust a doctor who is ostensibly sensitive to a too rushed taper?

I found one today who is willing to do it all through telehealth Blamo! I am having second third and fourth thoughts after talking with many friends and hearing what they go through with their regular docs and acquiring even minimal Benzos scripts.

This doc of course wants an intake and then a monthly fee and will proscibe a crossover to V and then a taper down and is only too understanding,,,,, which helps because I want to be understood, but…..

It begs reality that he doesn’t accept “insurance at this time.”

I don’t have any so that is an attractive feature ….. or warning sign.

What say ye all?

Not to name names but this individual comes form a recommended list of a Benzo sympathetic resource likely many here are familiar with.

Gadzooks!! 

I don’t like it out in the cold but the trade off may be a warm room with a predator in it.

Yeah they want a card on file, and you agree to all manner of

“What is your desired taper timeline (in months)? In other words, in how many months would you like to be benzodiazepine-free?”

Billing: *

I agree that, once I have a payment-method on file, Xxxxxx may automatically bill me monthly as long as I remain a patient of Xxxxxxxxx

Xxxxxx is a different of kind of experience. Our system is built with you at the center of your benzodiazepine taper.

Let us make these agreements - these will enable a successful taper.

I intend to taper off my benzodiazepine(s), slowly and safely discontinuing my use.

I understand that tapering means my dose will gradually decrease but never increase.

I can pause the taper at any time.

Xxxxxxx will prescribe benzodiazepines, intended for me alone. I understand benzodiazepines are controlled substances. I will keep my medication in a safe place. I will not distribute, sell, share, lend, or otherwise divert my medication to others.

I will not obtain benzodiazepines from any source other than Xxxxxxxx

I will take medications as prescribed. I will NOT take more than the amount prescribed.

I understand there will be no early refills if I run out of medication early. I will be responsible for making sure that I do not run out early, because abrupt discontinuation of these medications can cause severe withdrawal syndrome.

I understand that if I run out of medication early, subsequent refills will be for reduced duration, until my clinician decides to resume standard refill duration.

I consent to a blood or urine drug screening upon initiating my relationship with SafeTaper, and randomly thereafter.

I will tell Xxxxxxx about all the medications I am taking, including prescription, over-the-counter, and herbal medicines.

I understand that use of benzodiazepines with other sedating drugs and medications (e.g. opioids, alcohol, barbiturates) can be life-threatening. I agree not to combine benzodiazepines with sedating drugs without first consulting a Xxxxxxxxclinician.

After my initial video visit, I will have a video visit or phone call with a Xxxxxxxx clinician at least monthly, including a video visit at least every 3 months.

I will keep my scheduled Xxxxxxxxx appointments unless I give notice of cancellation 24 hours in advance.

I understand that failure to follow any of these agreements could result in Xxxxxxxnot providing ongoing care for me.

I dunno. So freaked right now. This outfit is just one person but speaks in jargon making it sound like a medical group.

Sounds exactly like the “benzo wise” doc from said list who told me I had an independent anxiety disorder and that he is not a sleep doctor when I wen to him for help.  I was very clearly in withdrawal 10 weeks out of cold turkey. I was in severe distress after having about 20 hours sleep in a 2 week period.  His solution was to reinstate X … told me to updose until

I “found my number”.  I got up to 2.5 mg and decided no more.  I would have done anything to get my life back as is how we all feel.  So now here I am … tapering and wondering how I will make it through.  Needless to say he is no longer running my credit card. I am a Christian woman but I am struggling with the sheer hate I feel for this person.  My advice.. beware.  Also Poobear… May I ask you to describe hitting a wall.  And are you allowed to tell where you are on this site?  US?? What state?

I don't blame you for being freaked out, but if you want to cross over to Valium it may be your only option because as I understand many doctors aren't comfortable prescribing it.  Do you have other options?

If not, maybe we could come up with some questions you could ask before you have to fork over a bunch of money and put yourself into the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Sounds exactly like the “benzo wise” doc from said list who told me I had an independent anxiety disorder and that he is not a sleep doctor when I wen to him for help.  I was very clearly in withdrawal 10 weeks out of cold turkey. I was in severe distress after having about 20 hours sleep in a 2 week period.  His solution was to reinstate X … told me to updose until

I “found my number”.  I got up to 2.5 mg and decided no more.  I would have done anything to get my life back as is how we all feel.  So now here I am … tapering and wondering how I will make it through.  Needless to say he is no longer running my credit card. I am a Christian woman but I am struggling with the sheer hate I feel for this person.  My advice.. beware.  Also Poobear… May I ask you to describe hitting a wall.  And are you allowed to tell where you are on this site?  US?? What state?

Hitting a wall I can speak to. I had been in the habit of going to the beach on my days off and laying in the sand enjoying the sun, grounding and breathing rolling in the sand and just enjoying the overall public  family goodness environment. It’s like a mini vacation from reality thats wholesome.The last time I went the weather had turned cold, and I just couldn’t get warm. Wall. Just started experiencing WDs. So cold inside.

It had been a long winding 2 years after having returned from overseas and losing relationship with those I’d become close to, what with Covid, employment instability, lack of intimacy, advancing age 62 relocation for work, and sleep trouble which found me hooked up to 2 mgs

of X in an attempt to sleep, I think a dam of emotion just broke.

Don’t think we are allowed to say where we are here, per BB.

Would love to trade names and details about docs and stuff but that is likely against BB rules also and we rely on Admin and these rules for good reason.

Curious however when I did enquire about a sleep med, the individual did defer stating that folks often become fixated on those meds, indicating to me an initial reluctance with them.

I don't blame you for being freaked out, but if you want to cross over to Valium it may be your only option because as I understand many doctors aren't comfortable prescribing it.  Do you have other options?

If not, maybe we could come up with some questions you could ask before you have to fork over a bunch of money and put yourself into the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Pamster,

Do I want to crossover to Vallium? I think I do. That seems to be the thing to do.although there is little consensus on the move.

What questions come to mind to ask?

And

thank you so much for your time.

This is so very  difficult

Thank you for asking the crossover question.  I too would like to hear Pamster’s answer. I would love to think I can taper directly from X but I/D may make it intolerable.  Sleep is my big big problem and when it is bad depression pops in.  Trazodone is currently saving me and I just pray it continues to do so.  I just want this out of my life as soon as is reasonably and safely possible.  Apologies if I crossed any lines in my questions.  I will tell you we are close in age.  I just turned 64. Very healthy other than this and I don’t drink, smoke or take any other meds.  I’m very functional at this point and desperately trying to stay that way.  I will never reveal the name of my former psych who got me in this mess. I personally would like to hear any and all opinions about a crossover and whether it would be a good way to go.  Time for a cut.  I’m a little scared.  It will be small and the last one before the New Year as to try and get some joy out of the holidays.  Currently don’t care much about a tree.. just buying gifts online for my grand babies.

We have members who have successfully tapered Xanax and its my belief that at least trying to taper off of your current medication should be the first step, but if it proves too difficult then a crossover can be considered because crossing over comes with it's own challenges.

Poobear01, have you attempted to taper the Alprazolam?

Pamster, are any of the members still around for guidance on how they tapered Xanax?  I’m working on it and have dropped from 2.5 to 1.9 since October.  Doing ok… but some I/D withdrawals.  Would love some advice.

Hello, Poobear01.

I recognized the language in the patient agreement the prescriber sent you so did a bit of sleuthing. The prescriber appears to be legit in terms of having a valid medical license as well as the credentials claimed.  You can verify this yourself by searching your state’s medical board for his license as well as information about any outstanding complaints/actions against him (there aren’t any). 

His current primary practice appears to be family medicine but he did complete a one year fellowship in addition medicine from  2019 - 2020 and founded his telehealth service in 2020. 

Not taking insurance is not necessarily an indication that this provider is engaging in predatory practice.  By not taking insurance, practices avoid the considerable overhead costs (and frustrations) associated with the management of insurance coding, billing, and reimbursements.  This model (known as direct primary care or DPC) has grown in popularity since its inception in the mid 2000s. Adoption of DPC seems to have accelerated during the pandemic as more telehealth service startups were created.

Pamster, are any of the members still around for guidance on how they tapered Xanax?  I’m working on it and have dropped from 2.5 to 1.9 since October.  Doing ok… but some I/D withdrawals.  Would love some advice.

I don't think the support group thread is very active but it wouldn't hurt to post there, see if anyone drops by.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74309.0

I check this group regularly and have reached out on it.  Nothing.  I’m really hoping someone will show up with advice.  I’m making progress but ther is going to come a point where I’m going to need some direction.