Benedryl? Hydroxyzine?

[Pi...]

I know that I'm going to have symptoms while I withdraw. But they are exacerbated grossly when I don't sleep. Especially the extreme despair... I don't want to get into the despair more than that, but I'm sure you all understand. It's getting to a critical point where I really need sleep. I've used some of the usual rx drugs like mirtzipine and trazodone. They really didn't do anything. 

Prior to this, I've tried Benadryl for sleep and it worked better than these prescriptions. But I'm concerned that it may not be safe in combination with valium. I wouldn't take it every night, that just doesn't seem like a good idea somehow. But even just one night a week of kinda crappy sleep would help me a great deal.

I've also heard hydroxyzine helps. But I don't have much info on that. I know it's an RX.

Of course I'll talk to my doctor. She's been So awesome and is titrating me down on Valium. She seems to know what she's doing and I trust her. But I'd really love the perspective of those who have been there and are there.

I've read of many members who take Benadryl, they seem to tolerate okay, some will mix it up with Melatonin so they don't build a tolerance.

Be careful with Benadryl.

At 5 years out, I decided to take it for sleep during college: next thing, I knew, I woke up in a setback. Lasted about a month and a half.

Benadryl isn't as lightweight as some believe: it can have a paradoxical effect to it.

I know many ppl out there that take it, but my nerves couldn't handle it. Only took 4 to send my CNS into a smoggy frenzy.

I would probably go with hydroxyzine.

It's a roll of the dice with medications...one doesn't know until after.

I'm not trying to override Pamster's advice, just telling you my experience.  :)

I could probably take it today, and be fine. Idk...

No problem Dragoon909, I don't have personal experience with Benadryl during benzo withdrawal or recovery so your contribution of personal experience carries more weight, don't ever worry about stepping on my toes.  :)

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm apprehensive to put more chemicals in my body, but I've noticed the sleep issue directly effects all other symptoms and I know sleep helps heal. I know it's not gonna be a smooth ride, but it's at the point where I need some real intervention. However, I also don't wanna risk making it worse with stuff. For example, I'm having really wild reactions to B vitamins. Even 1/4 a vitamin amps me up like I've had 5 coffees. Chamomile tea makes me super depressed!! And that's supposed to help from what I've read.  And that's just natural stuff! Anyway, I'm glad for ALL information about this so I can make an informed decision.

PB -

This is going to be one of those very individual things. Benadryl is not necessarily unsafe to take with Valium, but it may or may not have a soporific (sleepy) effect while you're in w/d. I used to take Benadryl and it did help me sleep at times. While in w/d, it actually has kept me up and increased heart palps. I haven't heard any horror setback stories from it, so you could just try it and see how it feels.

Some people also use hydroxyzine, another antihistamine. Some (like me) went on a small dose of mirtazapine (an old AD that has a huge antihistamine in it, and has to be tapered slowly again later on). I have found very small amounts of melatonin helpful as I get lower in my taper.

And yes, it would be good to know how much drug you are on, so maybe you can add that to your signature?

Hello all, I take 25 mgs. of Trazodone to sleep at night, have taken it for 2 years and it helps...I take Hydroxyzine first thing in the morning for the Cortisol surge that I get, but lately it has not been helping but, basically giving me symptoms of the Cortisol surge...tingling/vibrations throughout my body, intrusive thoughts and some difficulty breathing.

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm apprehensive to put more chemicals in my body, but I've noticed the sleep issue directly effects all other symptoms and I know sleep helps heal. I know it's not gonna be a smooth ride, but it's at the point where I need some real intervention. However, I also don't wanna risk making it worse with stuff. For example, I'm having really wild reactions to B vitamins. Even 1/4 a vitamin amps me up like I've had 5 coffees. Chamomile tea makes me super depressed!! And that's supposed to help from what I've read.  And that's just natural stuff! Anyway, I'm glad for ALL information about this so I can make an informed decision.

Chamomile tea does the same for me; in fact, all herbal teas make me "drowsy-depressed".

My husband drinks tea at night, and he's just fine.

Odd how teas make ppl feel so differently.

If you feel your body is telling you subconsciously to not take anymore chemicals at this time, I would listen to it.

Your intuition is no doubt, probably right.

Good luck.  😊