Seizure Meds./Depakote

[7e...]

[7e...]

Ok, I have been having a few seizures, I think, not sure..but I believe so.

I'm prescribed Depakote now Depakote ER, i'm thinking I may have to start taking it, also some kind of other medication that deals with Calcium. It's a calcium vitamin basically.

Anyone take Depakote, or can give me info.

TY

Keryn.

When I was prescribed Depakote, it was as a mood stabilizers when my shrink thought I had bipolar disorder (I didn't/don't).  Within in 3 weeks, chunks of my hair were coming out so I went off it ASAP.  I don't remember anything more about it.

What makes you think you might be having seizures, keryn?  I have a niece who definitely has seizures and there isn't any doubt about hers.  ::)

[7e...]

When I was prescribed Depakote, it was as a mood stabilizers when my shrink thought I had bipolar disorder (I didn't/don't).  Within in 3 weeks, chunks of my hair were coming out so I went off it ASAP.  I don't remember anything more about it.

What makes you think you might be having seizures, keryn?  I have a niece who definitely has seizures and there isn't any doubt about hers.  ::)

I have a history of them, and I have had some absent and partial seizures.

I don't want to have a tonic clonic, which I had one of those before too.

I'm in a jam with seizure medication cause Topamax made me lose weight... so on...

I'm going to have to get on some kind of Anti-Epileptic soon, my EEG was good.. I'm afraid of having one.. that's the point, it may be just fear..

but I've had them before and I know the Valium tapering is lowering the threshold.. I was at a lower dose, now back up to 30mg and have to go very slow.. as in slow slow slow..

Keryn.

Depakote and Valium probably shouldn't be mixed, for treatment of seizures because Depakote actually displaces Valium from the GABAa receptor sites, they basically compete for the same receptor and, Depakote usually wins. It goes into this here: http://www.druglib.com/activeingredient/divalproex/

Best to get your seizures diagnosed and then think about your treatment for them :)

Good luck...

L'andy

[7e...]

Depakote and Valium probably shouldn't be mixed, for treatment of seizures because Depakote actually displaces Valium from the GABAa receptor sites, they basically compete for the same receptor and, Depakote usually wins. It goes into this here: http://www.druglib.com/activeingredient/divalproex/

Best to get your seizures diagnosed and then think about your treatment for them :)

Good luck...

L'andy

Yes I know Depakote makes Valium more potent, so may go on Phenobarbital.

Thanks, Keryn. :)

• 7 months later...

Good luck...

L'andy

I've been taking depakote and klonopin.  Depakote definitely doesn't cancel out klonopins effects.  Klonopin still works well for anxiety relief and is hard to get off while taking depakote as well.  Elliptical.

Good luck...

L'andy

May I please intervene here and ask "What about Dilantin"?  Sorry, I should start a different thread.  Forgive me.  Nevermind.

Kian