When Anxious, Find the Thought and Ask Is it True, Is it Helpful?

[da...]

I've tapered my benzos very slowly to about 1/3rd of what i used to take.  I think the mirtazapine is helpful.  Its the only antidepressant that I tolerate well (I'm not depressed, its for the anxiety.) 

With 2 years of seeing a psychiatrist, the big takeaway that she taught me is from Cognitive Behavioral therapy.

Basically, it is this:

When I feel anxious, figure out what the thought was that led to that feeling.  Then ask myself: "Is that thought true, or valid?"

Then ask myself "Is that thought helpful?"

Usually, the thought is either not true, or not helpful, or both.  Knowing this has helped me discard many negative thoughts, or to move past them.  Sometimes I think of those thoughts as excess baggage, and I can just let go of the baggage once I see it as that.

The other big thing I learned is how exercise burns off anxiety.  It releases good hormones naturally.  I do find just going for a walk is often very helpful.

Good luck, everyone.  May God bless you.

Good advice on both counts, David.  Many people don't believe that they have any control over their anxiety but changing your thinking can help a lot in my experience.  And physical activity is very helpful when you can manage it.  ;)

This is absolutely true and the main tool that will help control anxiety.  Exercise does help a lot.  Plus, when I have appropriately sore muscles from my pilates, I sure have something else to focus on!  :P

Once you answer that question enough times - "is it true, is it helpful?" it gets easier.  I'm still working on it, but still, even in process, I can see that it does work.

My counselor gave me a new tool this week. The three questions:

What do I want?

What am I doing to get it?

It is working?

So simple, it seems but a lot of folks keep applying the same behavior and thought process to a problem or problems thinking that some how, magically, something will be different.  That's just not how it works. 

Anxiety is a hard one.  It's a day to day, moment to moment, struggle.  Once off the benzos, even as you taper, something you used as an anxiety crutch is gone.  Sure there are plenty of withdrawal symptoms related to it, but also ya need to start applying ways to just handle it, too. 

Thanks for your post David! I actually did this today (prior to reading your note!) I just knew that I had to curb my anxiety and this method really helped. I kept telling myself to focus on what I knew was true and it pushed aside the worry-some thoughts. I soon felt better and I felt like I had some control over the anxiety. It really worked! I will keep doing this. Many thanks for sharing what you've learned.

best wishes to you!

-Jan