Would a glass or two of wine cause problems

[Th...]

I am currently 20 days Klonopin free!  :D  I’m feeling great! I did a slow taper and haven’t had any alcohol whatsoever for the last 8 months. I’ve never been much of a drinker. My husband and I will be leaving on a 16 day trip to France and Germany on the 18th. I would love to enjoy a glass of wine or two while there on a few nights while there. Not more than that for sure. My question is, would this put me back in withdrawal after a very slow taper? I don’t want to cause myself problems…not sure how all of this works.

Congratulations!

Alcohol affects the same receptors as benzos. People vary in their response to alcohol during withdrawal and/or recovery.

Some people can have a drink with no ill effects.

Others get slammed with setback symptoms which would not be great on your trip.

I hope you have a lovely holiday, you’ve earned it for sure!

Hardy.

Congratulations!

Alcohol affects the same receptors as benzos. People vary in their response to alcohol during withdrawal and/or recovery.

Some people can have a drink with no ill effects.

Others get slammed with setback symptoms which would not be great on your trip.

I hope you have a lovely holiday, you’ve earned it for sure!

Hardy.

Thank you so much Hardy! I really appreciate your response. It’s Definitely not worth it to me to try if even a slim chance of it causing a problem. I’ll just stay away and possibly have something New Year’s Eve! Maybe by then, it’ll be safe to have a small amount of something.

Thanks again!

Please look at my signature.  I derailed my taper, adding 2 additional years,  due to 1 glass of wine times 7 nights in August of 2019. I went into tolerance withdrawal and reached a low I never thought humanly possible. At that point I was at 2 mg v. I had to updose and now (3 years later) my dose is 1.3.

Anything that destabilizes GABA can be problematic and alcohol is one of them. I think is too early to take that risk in your case. I was in Germany last year and tried their No alcohol beer and I was ok. Some have 0.0% but most have 0.5 % of alcohol. You really have to ask. If I knew then what I know now I would have stayed out of it. It's just better to have the  peace of mind while you are there that nothing is gonna ruin your trip. Just for Two or three drinks It's not worth it!

Mice   

Please look at my signature.  I derailed my taper, adding 2 additional years,  due to 1 glass of wine times 7 nights in August of 2019. I went into tolerance withdrawal and reached a low I never thought humanly possible. At that point I was at 2 mg v. I had to updose and now (3 years later) my dose is 1.3.

Oh my goodness Magnolia! That’s awful! I’m so sorry, but so glad that you are back on track now. I’ll stay away! I don’t want any problems.

Prayers for you during the rest of your taper!

Anything that destabilizes GABA can be problematic and alcohol is one of them. I think is too early to take that risk in your case. I was in Germany last year and tried their No alcohol beer and I was ok. Some have 0.0% but most have 0.5 % of alcohol. You really have to ask. If I knew then what I know now I would have stayed out of it. It's just better to have the  peace of mind while you are there that nothing is gonna ruin your trip. Just for Two or three drinks It's not worth it!

Mice 

Thank you for the information Mice! I’ll just steer clear of alcohol altogether for now.

Wondering, is alcohol as addictive as benzos since they affect the same receptors? My husband loves a glass or two of wine at night and has it probably 4 nights of the week. I’d hate for him to end up in the mess that I did with Klonopin. 😳

I know that both France and Germany produce non-alcoholic wines.  Maybe you could partake in those.  Have fun on your trip!

Thank you Rocknroll! I wasn’t aware of that. I’m really excited about this trip! My first time overseas. Of course, not excited about the flight…this will be the very first flight I’ve ever taken without taking a benzo. I have a BIG fear of flying, but don’t want to stop living my life due to anxiety! Facing my fears head on…😬

You've worked so hard and are feeling well enough after your long journey to take a lovely trip -- I know its tempting -- but I would sure hate for you to come back and tell us "guys, it didn't work out so well."  Problem is once we've crossed over that line, it sure takes a lot to come back to baseline.  enjoy your trip! 

I did a bit of Googling to find out about the addictive nature of alcohol but didn’t find anything definite. I would love to know the answer though. I guess it can’t be quite the same as benzos as most people manage to enjoy alcohol in moderation for many years.

Hardy.

Mice 

Thank you for the information Mice! I’ll just steer clear of alcohol altogether for now.

Wondering, is alcohol as addictive as benzos since they affect the same receptors? My husband loves a glass or two of wine at night and has it probably 4 nights of the week. I’d hate for him to end up in the mess that I did with Klonopin. 😳

Mice 

Yep, it is ( for me ).

I am not a heavy drinker ( a bit like your husband ), but I know / feel that if I don't drink for a long period of time, it's like not taking Valium. Even stronger. It's much more short acting, alcohol, compared to Valium.

But alcohol seems to be safer ( with moderation ). I may be wrong :P

You've worked so hard and are feeling well enough after your long journey to take a lovely trip -- I know its tempting -- but I would sure hate for you to come back and tell us "guys, it didn't work out so well."  Problem is once we've crossed over that line, it sure takes a lot to come back to baseline.  enjoy your trip!

Thank you so much Grace! And so very true! I’ll definitely not have any.

I did a bit of Googling to find out about the addictive nature of alcohol but didn’t find anything definite. I would love to know the answer though. I guess it can’t be quite the same as benzos as most people manage to enjoy alcohol in moderation for many years.

Hardy.

Mice 

Wine has a lot of antioxidants and people from countries like Italy, Spain and of course France drink wine all the time and have a very low rate of coronary disease despite they eat a lot of cheese and other unhealthy stuff. Normally they do it in moderation and mainly while they eat dinner or lunch. It's not the same when you drink it without food.

Here is a good article about this issue: https://www.winespectator.com/articles/for-maximum-health-benefits-have-your-wine-with-a-meal

I think that more than one drink with an empty stomach is not healthy. Of course, I wouldn't stop drinking, may be limited to one a day AND with food!

I'm talking about your husband! ;)

PROSIT!!! 

You could try Dramamine or Bonine for the flight, It always helps relax me in addition to helping with motion sickness when I go boating with my husband on weekends.  I also use it on airplanes.  Just a suggestion.  Congratulations on being Benzo free and have an amazing trip!!!

You could try Dramamine or Bonine for the flight, It always helps relax me in addition to helping with motion sickness when I go boating with my husband on weekends.  I also use it on airplanes.  Just a suggestion.  Congratulations on being Benzo free and have an amazing trip!!!

Thank you Cooper5!

Mice 

Yep, it is ( for me ).

I am not a heavy drinker ( a bit like your husband ), but I know / feel that if I don't drink for a long period of time, it's like not taking Valium. Even stronger. It's much more short acting, alcohol, compared to Valium.

But alcohol seems to be safer ( with moderation ). I may be wrong :P

Interesting…so, you definitely notice that you are missing the alcohol?

Hardy.

Mice 

Wine has a lot of antioxidants and people from countries like Italy, Spain and of course France drink wine all the time and have a very low rate of coronary disease despite they eat a lot of cheese and other unhealthy stuff. Normally they do it in moderation and mainly while they eat dinner or lunch. It's not the same when you drink it without food.

Here is a good article about this issue: https://www.winespectator.com/articles/for-maximum-health-benefits-have-your-wine-with-a-meal

I think that more than one drink with an empty stomach is not healthy. Of course, I wouldn't stop drinking, may be limited to one a day AND with food!

I'm talking about your husband! ;)

PROSIT!!!

Thanks for sharing this link! Very interesting…