Gastrointestinal Issues

[rd...]

Hi all,

Did anyone get gastrointestinal issues not long after starting using Clonazapen. I developed Gastritis before any kind of taper a few months after starting this stuff. if it had come on suddenly I would have made the connection and would have stopped using it. Now I'm stuck with a mess of a stomach and I can't quit cold turkey do to long term use (coming up on a year of this stuff). I'm kind of at my wits end. I'm also worried I have MS because even the slightest taper and I get muscle spasms and pins and needles feeling. I'm very scared. Not working as I'm in pain most of the time.

You're experiencing some very common symptoms of dependence, tolerance and withdrawal so please don't worry you have MS.  This will continue to happen unless you increase your dose or taper off and recover.  I know it's painful but the only way out of this mess is straight through it.

Can you tell us what dose you're taking and how many times a day you take it?  It would help if you put this information into your signature so we can help you.  Add your history/signature

Started .5 mg twice nightly October 2021

stomach issues starting February 2022

diagnosed with Gastritis April 2022

tapered down to .5 mg late June to mid July 2022

.5 Mg every other day Mid July 2022

told I could switch to Ambien and quit Clonozopen July 18 2022

Had severe withdrawal symptoms Early August 2022

Back on Clonozapen trying to maintain at .375 mg per day. Sometimes I have muscle twitches from withdrawal and do an extra .125 mg.

I've never had any GI issues until I was tapering and hit 4mg valium. It's been constant ever since then. I keep hoping it will go away at some point. My doctor says to take pepto or Imodium to treat the symptom and add NAC 500-1000/day as a supplement.

Started .5 mg twice nightly October 2021

stomach issues starting February 2022

diagnosed with Gastritis April 2022

tapered down to .5 mg late June to mid July 2022

.5 Mg every other day Mid July 2022

told I could switch to Ambien and quit Clonozopen July 18 2022

Had severe withdrawal symptoms Early August 2022

Back on Clonozapen trying to maintain at .375 mg per day. Sometimes I have muscle twitches from withdrawal and do an extra .125 mg.

Oh my, you got some questionable advice about the Ambien, I'm sorry. 

How often do you take the extra .125, it would actually be better to increase your .375 dose rather than take the extra's.  Your brain craves consistency, this is why we suggest taking the same amount every day and not to skip days so your blood serum levels can stay steady and you don't get a whiplash effect of symptoms.

Are you still taking the Ambien?

No I am no longer taking the ambien. Wondering if my Gastritis is related or a separate issue. I've asked a couple different doctors and heard different things.

Hi

I had and have extreme stomach issues, what you are saying is similar to my experience. My doctor even sent me for a colonoscopy and they found no issues. Start your taper and get of this poison and you will be well again.

Best wishes

Hi rdogg,

Try not to stress and worry.

Withdrawal exposes and exacerbates any pre-existing weaknesses in your body.

I have pre- existing SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) and Leaky gut (Intestinal permeability) from before benzo’s and tapering.

Any inflammation in the gut eventually spreads throughout the body causing pain. The inflammation also cross the blood brain barrier which then causes all kinds of cognitive and memory issues.

Whenever I cut, my already slowed digestion becomes even further impaired and the pre-existing pain in my back, legs, hips and pelvis increase considerably. I can’t really treat the SIBO effectively at the moment because I react to the antimicrobials, and the Intestinal lining (Leaky gut) won’t heal until the overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine (SIBO) is eradicated. I am treating , but it’s a much longer process using a restricted diet and specially targeted probiotic.

It is my belief that those who experience a difficult withdrawal which includes GI issues would do well to see a Functional Integrative Medical Practitioner and do a couple of simple tests to expose any underlying gut issues that may have developed or increased through withdrawal.

I can’t stress enough what a profound impact gut health can have on an individuals wellbeing - Anxiety, Depression, cognitive and memory impairment, Fatigue, Pain, and the list goes on.

Many people suffer declining health and well-being for years, visiting GP after GP, doing test after test and never finding answers (the root cause) so eventually end up on pharmaceutical drugs to treat symptoms only. The lucky ones, eventually find their way or stumble across a Functional Integrative Medical Practitioner who either through one or a combination of simple comprehensive tests, Urine, stool and Breath test, finally expose the underlying root cause and then they’re finally on their way to healing and resolving their symptoms.

There’s an ancient saying - All Illness begins in the Gut.

WS

• Popular Now