Setback please some help

[Da...]

after 16 months it seemed that I was relatively well some symptoms but not bad.

I went on a trip this summer with my family and one night I drank a couple of beers because I was feeling good, it seemed like everything was coming back together.  but since that day I have been feeling bad for almost two months and with many symptoms.  these last two days there has been horrible a lot of pressure in the head dizziness urge to vomit, diarrhea, tinnitus has increased.  I'm really scared.  I feel terrible for having drunk alcohol.  I don't know if my recovery has stopped.  Please, if anyone had any help or knew what could happen, I would appreciate it if you shared it with me.

You're in a setback but you can still recover, many of our members have drank alcohol and experienced what you are, the recovery timelines vary but it does happen.  Alcohol effects the same part of the brain as benzo's and most aren't able to resume it until they've fully recovered.  We do have some members who have been able to consume a bit while in recovery but they're in the minority. 

Try not to beat yourself up because negative thinking causes us stress and stress increases symptoms. 

Hey Dakota,

In my experiences, I'd say you are almost out of it.  I remember taking one klonapin pill and had a similar experience.  It felt like I was back to acute withdrawal.  My body reacted to it for a couple of months.  But when that was over, I could see that my body's reaction was obscuring the healing that was still going in the background!  That small exposure probably won't set you back, though I'm sure it feels like it did.  Your brain was probably thrown off but the good news is that your brain will always keep trying to reach homeostasis and you will continue to get better.  I know how it feels.  The regret of having taken something that effects GABA, the not knowing how much you set yourself back, having to deal the damn symptoms, etc.  It gets better, I promise you mate.   

You're in a setback but you can still recover, many of our members have drank alcohol and experienced what you are, the recovery timelines vary but it does happen.  Alcohol effects the same part of the brain as benzo's and most aren't able to resume it until they've fully recovered.  We do have some members who have been able to consume a bit while in recovery but they're in the minority. 

Try not to beat yourself up because negative thinking causes us stress and stress increases symptoms.

thank you very much pam for always having a few words of relief.  Right now it's been 18 months since it all started.  I had been feeling good for 4 months, it seemed that my life had returned and now I feel again in this black tunnel.  I have doubted many times if everything had happened because of the benzodiazepines or if there was something I did not understand why.  Right now I don't even know what to think, I'm afraid that my healing has stopped.  I just wanted to feel like before, share moments of celebration and laughter and I'm paying a price and I don't know why

Hey Dakota,

In my experiences, I'd say you are almost out of it.  I remember taking one klonapin pill and had a similar experience.  It felt like I was back to acute withdrawal.  My body reacted to it for a couple of months.  But when that was over, I could see that my body's reaction was obscuring the healing that was still going in the background!  That small exposure probably won't set you back, though I'm sure it feels like it did.  Your brain was probably thrown off but the good news is that your brain will always keep trying to reach homeostasis and you will continue to get better.  I know how it feels.  The regret of having taken something that effects GABA, the not knowing how much you set yourself back, having to deal the damn symptoms, etc.  It gets better, I promise you mate. 

thank you very much for your words.  around me no one believes me.  My mother keeps saying it's impossible.  Sometimes I don't even know what to believe.  I am very afraid of not feeling well again.

Your recovery hasn't stopped, our bodies never stop repairing, this is what ever cell in our body does, this is their job so even though you're not aware of it, its happening. 

Your mom doesn't understand this but try not to blame her, heck, many in the medical community don't so she's in good company.  We understand and from what other members have said about their experience with alcohol, this is temporary.  You felt pretty good a few months back so that means you're capable of recovery so keep the faith, I'm confident you'll feel good again.

after 16 months it seemed that I was relatively well some symptoms but not bad.

I went on a trip this summer with my family and one night I drank a couple of beers because I was feeling good, it seemed like everything was coming back together.  but since that day I have been feeling bad for almost two months and with many symptoms.  these last two days there has been horrible a lot of pressure in the head dizziness urge to vomit, diarrhea, tinnitus has increased.  I'm really scared.  I feel terrible for having drunk alcohol.  I don't know if my recovery has stopped.  Please, if anyone had any help or knew what could happen, I would appreciate it if you shared it with me.

Sorry to hear about your setback. I am in the very early weeks since jumping off and stupidly I decided to drink alcohol two weeks post-taper. I drank throughout my whole taper so I thought I'd be able to continue post-taper without any problems. I was very wrong. It put me in a nasty wave for about 4 days. But I did drink a lot over two nights - it wasn't just a couple of beers. Luckily the wave passed and I seem ok now but I certainly won't be risking that again for a very long time.

I wouldn't worry about your recovery stopping. Recovery never stops, no matter how bad you might feel. The brain and body is always fighting to repair itself - even more so when we are suffering a nasty wave. It will pass and you'll feel better again.