Started 0.25mg ODT clonazepam with strong unexpected w/d sx

[...]

Last evening I started PAR 0.25mg ODT Clonazepam. I had been on hold for about 2 weeks on Teva 0.5mg that I had cut down to 0.20mg and was stable. Tonight was quite rough with insomnia, burning belly, heart pounding and chest pain. I had heard that switching to ODT's can difficult but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad on the first night. It was like I hadn't taken anything. I was stressing over the switch though.

The PAR 0.25 mg ODT is the only 0.25 mg Clonazepam I can get if I want a lower dosage to taper. So I guess my question is...will the body and brain adjust to this new formulation? I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone who has gone through this switch to ODT's. Thanks so much!

I'm not sure if you're going to hear from someone who has made this switch, but as someone who has never tapered I'd like to let you know what I've observed.  Making a decision to increase or decrease the medication is something that requires time and patience.  I know we need to make course adjustments and they're a good idea but not something to be decided after only one day. 

You essentially up-dosed by taking the .25 PAR ODT since you had tapered to .20 of the Teva so I'd give it a few days at least to see how this plays out.  I know this is easy for me to say, a few days of torture is unacceptable but if it will help you find the right dose it might be worth it.

Hopefully someone with actual experience will stop by.

Last evening I started PAR 0.25mg ODT Clonazepam. I had been on hold for about 2 weeks on Teva 0.5mg that I had cut down to 0.20mg and was stable. Tonight was quite rough with insomnia, burning belly, heart pounding and chest pain. I had heard that switching to ODT's can difficult but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad on the first night. It was like I hadn't taken anything. I was stressing over the switch though.

The PAR 0.25 mg ODT is the only 0.25 mg Clonazepam I can get if I want a lower dosage to taper. So I guess my question is...will the body and brain adjust to this new formulation? I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone who has gone through this switch to ODT's. Thanks so much!

As I’m sure you know, stress/anxiety can manifest as insomnia, burning belly, heart pounding, and chest pain.  I agree with Pamster’s suggestion that you give your body (and mindset) a few days to see if you adjust to the new dosage form.

May I ask where you read that switching to ODTs can be difficult?  Was it here on BenzoBuddies (BB) or elsewhere?  The BB members I’ve read about who use ODTs have not reported this.

I have personal experience with switching from regular Teva tablets to both Par and Teva ODTs.  The only difference I noticed was that the ODTs had a slightly faster onset of action (perhaps due to some degree of oral mucosal absorption of the drug) and a slightly shorter duration of action.

Hi Pamster and Libertas....thanks so much. Both of you were spot on. I am doing much better 3 days later. I think that I stressed over the switch to ODT's because of some of the comments I had read on BB. I searched using "ODT". Also I really had no choice but to move onto the ODT's to continue the taper.

The tabs seem to be easy to cut. The only issue I am having is that the cuts are difficult to weigh out accurately. This may be due to the fact that ODT's could absorb moisture. I'll work that out.

Thanks again, AWB

You’re welcome, AWB.  Thank you for the good news update.  FYI: If memory serves, current member KlonopinQuitterinCO has been dry cutting the ODTs.