Swallowing feels weird

[Sh...]

Please if anyone has experience with this, my throat is so tight and even feels weird swallowing my saliva. This symptom was so much better yesterday, and now it’s so terrible. Anyone feel like their throat is so tight and constricted. Like a lump feeling that makes it hard to swallow. I think it’s called globus, and I thought it was a common based on things I’ve ready , but no one seems to relate anytime I post about it. So if anyone can relate and help me out I’d greatly appreciate it

I had swallowing issues for about 2 years. I had every test known to mankind done and everything came back normal. Much better now but not perfect yet. I still get eating anxiety at times. It will resolve just give it time.

Two years?!? You’re scaring me! :( I hope I didn’t damage myself. This is actual hell living through this. Feel like I’m in my own torture chamber. Do you have any tips or suggestions thag I can do to help me through this ??

I have this issue.  I got it after covid.  It settled and came back after getting covid again.  I also hear myself swallowing and have a fear of swallowing.  I find clenching my teeth helps me swallow easier.  So scary but it’ll go away.

I've had this symptoms off and on since I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and had major anxiety with it.  I had it some while tapering but it left once the anxiety around that process resolved.  I know mine is anxiety-related because I had testing during Grave's, including a swallowing study which was fine.

I will mention this - that where I live ragweed is fierce now and the post-nasal drainage with that can cause the sensation you are describing as well.

Shizam,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're experiencing, but I have had issues with excess mucus in the back of my throat.  It's usually when I first get up in the morning, so it may be related to having mucus that builds up in my sinuses overnight and when I get up, gravity takes over & it goes down the back of my throat.  Sometimes it feels like something is stuck in my throat.  Yesterday morning it was worse & I was gagging a bit, which is very anxiety-provoking.  When it gets really bad where I start to panic, I take Mucinex.  I know this is one of the medicines not recommended if you're on or getting off of benzos, but it beats going into full-blown panic attack.  When it's not super-bad, I try to do some deep breathing and tell myself it'll pass, and it usually does.  Sugar-free cough drops help me, too. 

I do think that in my case, the excess mucus may be benzo-related.

I hope this helps in some way,

BWarrior

Everyone is different. Don’t be scared because it took 2 years to resolve for me. I had other sx that resolved in a short period of time while other had the same thing for much longer than me. I personally found that I became allergic to coffee which took me so long to figure out. Once I stopped drinking coffee it resolved almost immediately. I still get minor issues tho.

This still happens to me when my anxiety is bad. I feel like I forget how to swallow. It's like I'm chewing my food but I can't swallow.

Yes. It’s one of my longest lasting symptoms at almost 25 months. It always feels like my throat is locked and the severity of the tightness varies based on my nervous system’s stress management. When it’s at it’s worst it feels like I could choke on swallowing water. It does seem like it’s incrementally improving.

Yes the forgetting how to swallow feeeling! And then I do swallow and my adrenaline starts pumping causing sooo much fear and anxiety. What exactly is causing this throat tightness feeling? Is it muscular? It also kind of feels like a constant sore throat/swollen glands feeling. So hard to explain but it’s been persistent since early May!!!! Help!