Study,Mar/22:Deprescribing zolpidem reduces falls & fractures in pts w/cirrhosis

[La...]

The full title of this American study is "Deprescribing zolpidem reduces falls and fractures in patients with cirrhosis".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35493764/

Abstract

Background & aims: Benzodiazepines are associated with an increased risk of harm in patients with cirrhosis. However, stopping benzodiazepines must be done with care to avoid withdrawal or other unintended consequences. The impact of deprescribing on patients with cirrhosis is unknown.

Methods: We emulated a hypothetical 3-year trial of benzodiazepine deprescription among Medicare enrollees with compensated cirrhosis who lacked other life-limiting diagnoses. All received continuous benzodiazepine prescriptions for the 6-months prior to their diagnosis of cirrhosis. During a 90-day landmark period following their diagnosis of cirrhosis, patients were classified as complete deprescribers (no benzodiazepines dispensed), continuous users, or partial deprescribers. We used inverse probability treatment weighting to compare complete deprescribers to continuous users of traditional benzodiazepines and zolpidem. Outcomes accounted for competing risk of mortality and included incident decompensation (hepatic encephalopathy, ascites, or variceal bleeding), fractures, falls, and alcohol-related hospitalizations.

Results: There were 1,651 and 1,463 continuous users of traditional benzodiazepines and zolpidem, respectively, and 728 complete deprescribers. Patients were aged a median of 68 years, 24% had alcohol-related cirrhosis. There was no difference in the risk of death or decompensation for continuous users and deprescribers. Among deprescribers of traditional benzodiazepines, there was no improvement in the risk of falls or fractures. However, compared to continuous zolpidem users, deprescribers had a lower risk of falls (23.2% vs. 31%, p = 0.04) and fractures (21% vs. 29%, p = 0.02).

Conclusions: Deprescribing zolpidem reduces the risk of falls and fractures. However, deprescribing benzodiazepines does not improve the risk of decompensation. Efforts to safely address the indications for benzodiazepines such as insomnia and anxiety are urgently needed.

Lay summary: Many people with cirrhosis have anxiety, depression, and sleep disorders. Increasingly, patients with cirrhosis are treated with sedating medications called benzodiazepines, including valium, alprazolam ('Xanax'), clonopin, and the sleep-aid zolpidem ('Ambien'), which can cause falls, broken bones, and maybe other brain disorders. For this reason, many researchers are interested in trials of 'deprescribing' (stopping) benzodiazepines. However, no trials have been performed. We used health record data to simulate a trial of deprescribing. We found that stopping benzodiazepines may reduce the chance of falls or broken bones, but it does not improve survival or liver health.

The unknowns of these medications far surpass the known's and we happily gulp down these pills for as long as we can, these studies are eye opening and scary!

Yes, I agree, Pamster -- although I don't think I was very happy when I was taking benzos. I just didn't know enough to understand what was going on, and I think that may be the case with many others as well. Many of us weren't given the option of "informed consent", where risks were clearly explained to us before we started to take them.

I'm glad they're studying these issues, but I keep wondering how many "falls and fractures" studies there have to be before health professionals change their prescribing practices.