Diazepam liquid taper: what to expect in the end?

[f3...]

[f3...]

Hello everyone,

I am nearing the end of my (second) taper. I completed a diazepam taper last year, and got down to 2mg/day. I was using Xanax heavily for about 4 years prior to that. After my first taper, I relapsed and was using medium to high doses of flubromazolam for about 2 months, which is what I am currently trying to correct with my diazepam taper. Here is the schedule I have been following, based on the Ashton Manual:

Week 1: 15mg/day

Week 2: 10mg/day

Week 3: 7mg/day

Week 4: 6mg/day

Week 5: 5mg/day

Week 6: 4mg/day

Week 7: 3mg/day

Week 8: 2mg/day

Week 9: 2mg/day

Week 10: 1.75mg/day

Week 11: 1.5mg/day

Week 12: 1.25mg/day

Week 13: 1mg/day

Week 14: 1mg/day

Week 15: 0.75mg/day

Week 16: 0.75mg/day

Week 17: 0.5mg/day <------- I am here

Week 18: 0.5mg/day

Week 19: 0.25mg/day

Week 20: 0.25mg/day

All of these doses are diazepam, and no other benzo. Using liquid diazepam solution has been very helpful for tapering at doses lower than 2mg. I have been very strict with the dosing, I only went over my planned dose 4 days in the 4 months of my taper. I also avoided alcohol and caffeine as much as possible. Currently on day 3 of dosing 0.5mg. My 60-day average is 1.54mg/day, and my 30-day average is 1.17mg/day. It has been pretty smooth; no seizures, no panic attacks, and only very mild anxiety here and there. I feel quite stable. My questions for those who are more experienced with this:

1. Am I pretty much in the clear at this point? My 60-day daily dose average (1.54mg) is considered a sub-therapeutic dose, and the dose I have been taking for the past 2 weeks (0.75mg) is considered to be below the threshold (which is said to be around 1mg).

2. What can I expect once I am done with the last week (0.25mg) and stop completely? I would imagine there is virtually no difference between taking 0.25mg of diazepam, versus not taking any at all.

3. How do I avoid relapsing again? It is too damn easy to order RC benzos from the clearnet noawadays. One fear I have is that something will eventually come along and trigger my anxiety, causing me to order RC benzos and then I'm back to square one.

4. What are some safe, natural and non-addictive anxiolytics that make good alternatives to benzos? I know Gabapentin is useless because the GABA molecule itself is too large to cross the blood-brain barrier. I have heard valerian root is okay, and that certain strands of kratom can be good for anxiety, but I have also heard that kratom can be addictive too.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you mean by "Am I pretty much in the clear"?  If your symptoms have been minimal as you've tapered, I would expect them to remain that way once you jump off. 

I can't offer any advice about avoiding relapse, my withdrawal and recovery was horrific so that's my incentive to never take it again, maybe you've been done a disservice by having it fairly easy.

You can ask about other medications or do a search here:  Other Medications   

You can search this board for comments about Kratom. Alternative Therapies & Supplements

[f3...]

I'm not sure what you mean by "Am I pretty much in the clear"?  If your symptoms have been minimal as you've tapered, I would expect them to remain that way once you jump off. 

I meant "in the clear" as in, my GABA system being very close to homeostasis. But what you are saying sounds correct. No symptoms at a minuscule dose should = no symptoms without any dosing at all.

my withdrawal and recovery was horrific so that's my incentive to never take it again, maybe you've been done a disservice by having it fairly easy.

I suffered horrific withdrawals the first time I quit, it literally made me temporarily psychotic. This second time around has been horrific in its own way. Unlike last time, I am on state insurance, so the doctors are lower quality. It took me five months of doctor shopping to find one that was actually willing to prescribe diazepam. It's really demoralizing to go doctor to doctor and present your case honestly and intelligently, that you really want to safely taper off an addictive drug, and they all refuse to help. They treat diazepam like it's plutonium or something, and honestly believe that the state will gulag them for prescribing it. Bunch of useless hacks. Even just thinking about the experience now fills me with rage and frustration.

I didn't realize you've had your share of challenges during this process, I'm glad you advocated for yourself and agree, many doctors are hesitant to prescribe Valium, they call it a dirty drug.