Loss of thirst, hunger and other stuff

[we...]

After my trauma, I had extreme anxiety for about 2-3 months.  Somewhere along the way, I don't remember if it was right at the beginning or after, I lost the sensations of thirst, hunger, having to pee, and feeling tired.  I can only feel thirst and being tired when those feelings are very strong.  It's been 4-5 months and I still don't feel hunger.

has anyone else experienced this?

Hi, wellness.

I saw improvements early on in my recovery and my appetite began to improve, and then I hit a very hard patch again with soaring anixety and that loss of hunger came back again.  I have a real issue with hunger, and the majority of my meals are force-feedings, and it's actually rather stressful trying to get food down.  

I think when our CNS is so fragile and we are on "high alert," with anxiety and adrenaline pumping through us and just feeling yucky overall, the last thing our body wants to do is eat (even though it needs the food!).  Our systems are all confused and trying to repair and reset themselves.  Everything is so out of whack right now, but it will correct itself.  I was recently talking to a fellow friend and BB member about this topic, and this person, too, experiences this issue during tapering.  

I can report that it does get better once the body settles down.  After I quit Xanax, in the earlier time period when I started feeling better, I did have hunger and getting food down was not a chore, and even now after my last horrible wave has eased some in the last number of days, when I have more peaceful moments, I can feel hunger and am able to eat more easily.  So I am confident once our bodies calm down and heal and fix what the benzos have so royally messed up, we will go back to living and feeling like we are supposed to!

Thank goodness all of this is temporary!

Sweet

What I did at the beginning is to purchase meal replacements that you drink.  It ensured that I got something in me, but I was loosing more than 1 pound a week.  After two months, a guardian angel took me to her place and fed me for a month, got me back on solid food.  Now I do ritualized eating and drinking.  It's such a time, therefore I eat (or drink). 

I've managed to maintain my weight in the two weeks since.

Hi Wellness, I have experienced this and have just crossed-over from Ativan to Valium. I have no desire or real thought about eating. I almost go throught the entire day and then realize that I'd better eat something by about 4pm. It's like the hunger sensation is gone. I drink a lot of water and tea, and am eating, but not much, mostly soup! I have not lost much weight but did want to say that I'm pretty sure this is from withdrawal from Ativan. As well, I rarely feel tired, but am sleeping okay. I'm sure the desire to eat will come back, it's only been a few weeks since I completed the cross-over. I am glad that you have a friend helping you and I do hope it gets better for you soon.

best,

Jan

• 7 years later...

Hi,

Can I ask if you have all also lost the full sensation.

If you eat do you have any sensation of having done so.

I have lost all internal sensation but a I have constant insatiable panic to eat carbs/sugar.

Hi,

Can I ask if you have all also lost the full sensation.

If you eat do you have any sensation of having done so.

I have lost all internal sensation but a I have constant insatiable panic to eat carbs/sugar.

I've lost most sensation, hunger, thirst, need to pee too but don't want carbs or sugar

Also don't feel full in the rare times I do get hungry

• 4 years later...

Byrjun

I lost feeling in whole torso

No feeling in stomach / womb / bladder/ lungs

Nothing coming back.

Its horrible.

Did u get it back