Exercise and sports are STILL a challenge for me. Any advice?

[Mi...]

Hi all,

I am doing A LOT better than I was just this time last year. Slow & steady healing. More good days than bad. Waves are less intense (but still suck.) 

Anyway, wanting to ramp things up more physical activity wise is STILL a challenge for me. I feel like when I do, I get bit in the a**.

I had a wave after being wave free for half a year this past spring. It took two months to pull through it. After that wave..  I felt incredible! The best yet! So naturally I ramped things up. Walking at least 5 miles daily (which i have been doing on and off since winter ended this year) , going to festivals, going to the beach, sometimes in the heat .

Then last week I golfed twice. We took a cart, but I still played all 9 holes with just a day break in between. I would have golfed more, but felt I better not overdo it. During it all it felt fantastic! Zero issues. So happy and excited to have fun & golf. .... Then about two days later I started to have symptoms creep back in after feeling pretty darn fantastic for the last month & a half after that last wave ended.

Here's the thing: I feel like I always get "bit in the ass" when I get excited & do more. I seem to handle my nature walks in parks just fine,  and have been throughout all of this, but as soon as I get into a sport (& I really take it easy during) anyway, as soon as I start to put in some extra fun, because I feel like my body is totally ready, I get reminded I'm still in withdrawal. And, for me the symptom flare from this doesn't last just a couple days, or a week. .... This time last year I started to play pickle ball and I ended up in a 51 day wave. Stress induced part of that wave too. Then, this past spring I started challenging my brain/vestibular system more by walking over tall bridges (I have had consistent balance and dizziness issues throughout all of this that come and go) - Next thing I know another wave. Those last two waves had me so unsteady that I had to use a cane for a bit here & there.

Now last week with the golf I felt ready for sure to take on the course , but here I am four days later sitting in the chair, in my house feeling like I have benzo flu, feeling wobbly again and not sleeping well the past two nights. So frustrating!

I know I did a lot because I feel my legs are stronger, and sore, but in a good way. But, I want my legs to be stronger! I feel like with waves that are long,  with sitting around & recuperating, it doesn't take long for my muscles to get flabby.

I know there's folks who are able to run miles and hit the gym throughout all of this... Not the case for me. Too many balance issues on & off for that.

I'm thankful I've been able to walk throughout the entire last three years of this. During the rough patches, walking wasn't daily, but I would get at it again as soon as I could. Even if it meant just in the yard or on my street. Thank goodness that I've been able to do that consistently. But... whenever I feel better and ambitious.. Ugh.

Just a month & a half ago I was using a cane. Now I'm out golfing. I guess my ambition is bigger than my body can handle just yet.

When we feel better it's so hard to not to get back at life & be normal.

I guess golfing last Wednesday,  then again on Friday -- then two days later it hits me, is my sign to pare it back. I get fearful that it's too late, & not only will I be just sitting in a chair resting a bunch again, but symptoms will flare up so much that even just sitting is uncomfortable, along with going to bed at night not being able to sleep afraid another wave is coming while I lay there starting to feel like crap again. I hope it does not get to that point this time & this is just "a blip" 

What has your experience been with this? How common is this, this far out in the healing timeline? Any input is helpful.

Thanks

Fortitude