Surgery: Paradoxical Reaction to Versed - Anyone had Propofol?

[Gi...]

Hi BB’s.  Years ago while still on Xanax, I went in for knee surgery and had a horrific paradoxical reaction to Versed (midazolam, which is a benzo). Instead of knocking me out I had an extreme panic attack. They gave me another dose which sent me to the moon with panic and agitation that lasted about 8 hours.  I was sent home and never did get the surgery.

A couple years later I had an upper and lower endoscopy without anesthesia.  Not fun!  But now my gastroenterologist says I could take Propofol, but I’m nervous about that.

Anyone here taken Propofol after having a paradoxical experience with Versed?

I found an encouraging study showing a positive response to Propofol in people who had previously had a paradoxical reaction to Versed.

“In conclusion, this prospective study showed the safety and efficacy of propofol-based sedation for patients with paradoxical reactions, which did not differ between the groups administered with propofol alone and propofol in combination with midazolam. Thus, propofol-based sedation may be considered for subsequent endoscopy in patients with a history of midazolam-induced paradoxical reaction. This study provides clinical evidence that supports the practical use of propofol-based sedation for such patients and suggests the need for future multi-center studies.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8995981/

Had 2 endoscopies with in 3 months of each because of gastric ulcers. Both times I had propofol, which worked fine. Onset is very quick and it does not stay on board very long. It is a great drug for procedures.

Had 2 endoscopies with in 3 months of each because of gastric ulcers. Both times I had propofol, which worked fine. Onset is very quick and it does not stay on board very long. It is a great drug for procedures.

Thanks Dana.  I’m feeling better about the prospect of using  Propofol.  Good luck with your remaining taper. :)

I also had 2 endoscopies with propofol. No problems. I've had procedures with versed also (pre benzos) and propofol let me wake up sooner.

Katz

I also have had propofol for a colonoscopy with no problems. In fact I felt pretty good when I woke up from it.

Thanks so much Katz, 2catsintheyard, and EtherealRemnant.  I’m feeling relieved to know I can probably take this should I need surgery again.