Fear. Need hope.

[Mi...]

How do people overcome their fears when it comes to withdrawals? I have tried to wait out for about 5 or 6 weeks hoping to feel good but to be honest my symptoms are not changing - agrophobia, low mood and intrusive thoughts. Do you just go ahead and start to taper again? Need some hope please X

Hi MP, I feel your fear. You feel so bad now so why would you knowingly choose to taper and feel worse?  We would all like to take something and be our old selves but that just isn’t going to happen is it?

From what you say, the agoraphobia and low mood are pretty bad and you worry what might happen if they get worse?

But…..you also worry a lot about getting off the Valium.

You’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. Something has to change.

Suggestions….

Reinstate your benzo combination back to when you last felt well. I don’t know if your doctor will let you do this and it might not actually make you feel better anyway but it’s something to try……and taper from there.

Start your taper now at the very lowest level, literally a speck of a pill and try this for a week or two. If you don’t feel worse this might give you the confidence to taper further.

Stay on your current combination and slowly address your low mood and agoraphobia by other means…..therapy, staying with a friend, acceptance, only you will know what might give relief…….and only then start your taper.

Before I started my taper, I was a complete mess, no energy, sobbing, panic, depression, mono phobia, insomnia. Actually I didn’t know how it was possible to feel worse so I didn’t have your fears. I had to leave home and live with my sister who literally held my hand through it all. I owe her big time! At 4 months off, I’m contentedly living at home again.

There is always hope.

Things never stay the same.

You will definitely feel better than you do today, I guarantee it.

Biggest hugs  Hardy X

How do people overcome their fears when it comes to withdrawals? I have tried to wait out for about 5 or 6 weeks hoping to feel good but to be honest my symptoms are not changing - agrophobia, low mood and intrusive thoughts. Do you just go ahead and start to taper again? Need some hope please X

I have the same symptoms, a lot of fear, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, low self esteem, agoraphobia, loneliness, sadness and crying.

I am still crossing over from Ativan to Valium, so a bit of a different stage than you.

I really hope you can push through and stick w the Valium only...maybe just keep holding.

But I will tell you all the coping tips I use and maybe one or two may help.

-I practice cold therapy, (it is thought that very cold water shocks the system in a positive way, You can google about it).

when I'm really anxious and need to sleep, I take the coldest shower I can and get under my covers, the warming up process gives me a cozy feeling and helps me fall to sleep.

-I have chosen a few positive fantasies that I bring to mind and lay down and think of them, laying on the beach in Mexico, cuddling my daughter, making a beautiful painting..to take myself out of the constant thinking about this hell situation.

-I have the tiniest bit of white wine, like 2 ounces VERY RARELY when I'm completely freaking out. I am from European background and this is not so taboo to me, but if you have any issues w drinking then of course do not drink at all. But I believe American medical system is very opposed to wine, unlike Europe where it is much more acceptable.

-When I'm telling myself awful things I try to switch to talk to myself like a baby, in my mind I say things I would to a newborn, "you are tired, you need rest, you don't feel well, you need comfort, I love you"

-I practice surrender and radical acceptance of the situation and not desperately wish it wasn't happening, because it is and I can't have that war inside myself all the time.

-I Lay on the sofa, close my eyes, put my hands on my heart, do deep breathing and Listen to people speak like Maya Angelou, Eckhart Tolle, soothing people talking about loving yourself ..all on youtube.

-I keep distracted, do small tasks around the house, stretching on the rug, look at art books, watch shows on netflix, give myself pedicure, anything to make the time go by.

-I reach out here like you did, and simply ask for reassurance, we all need each other.

-I even get some positive relief from writing to you, knowing I am attempting to help someone in need reminds me that I am a kind and good person.

This is the hardest thing I have been through, and I have been through many very awful things in the past years, and that is why I ended up on the medication and it is going to take time for our bodies and minds to heal.

You can do it, if I can, you can, because many days I want to sleep and never wake up, but I do and I will keep going as I hope you will.

Sending lots of love and support,

xJenny

I feel the same way and am holding at 2 mg of V for the last 2 months. I’m also wondering how I can taper from here and the what if questions of am I going to feel better when I’m done.

Thank you Jenny. I appreciate your message and hope your cross over goes okay and helps you out with your symptoms. How much valium have you to cross over to? x

I have the same symptoms, a lot of fear, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, low self esteem, agoraphobia, loneliness, sadness and crying.

I am still crossing over from Ativan to Valium, so a bit of a different stage than you.

I really hope you can push through and stick w the Valium only...maybe just keep holding.

But I will tell you all the coping tips I use and maybe one or two may help.

-I practice cold therapy, (it is thought that very cold water shocks the system in a positive way, You can google about it).

when I'm really anxious and need to sleep, I take the coldest shower I can and get under my covers, the warming up process gives me a cozy feeling and helps me fall to sleep.

-I have chosen a few positive fantasies that I bring to mind and lay down and think of them, laying on the beach in Mexico, cuddling my daughter, making a beautiful painting..to take myself out of the constant thinking about this hell situation.

-I have the tiniest bit of white wine, like 2 ounces VERY RARELY when I'm completely freaking out. I am from European background and this is not so taboo to me, but if you have any issues w drinking then of course do not drink at all. But I believe American medical system is very opposed to wine, unlike Europe where it is much more acceptable.

-When I'm telling myself awful things I try to switch to talk to myself like a baby, in my mind I say things I would to a newborn, "you are tired, you need rest, you don't feel well, you need comfort, I love you"

-I practice surrender and radical acceptance of the situation and not desperately wish it wasn't happening, because it is and I can't have that war inside myself all the time.

-I Lay on the sofa, close my eyes, put my hands on my heart, do deep breathing and Listen to people speak like Maya Angelou, Eckhart Tolle, soothing people talking about loving yourself ..all on youtube.

-I keep distracted, do small tasks around the house, stretching on the rug, look at art books, watch shows on netflix, give myself pedicure, anything to make the time go by.

-I reach out here like you did, and simply ask for reassurance, we all need each other.

-I even get some positive relief from writing to you, knowing I am attempting to help someone in need reminds me that I am a kind and good person.

This is the hardest thing I have been through, and I have been through many very awful things in the past years, and that is why I ended up on the medication and it is going to take time for our bodies and minds to heal.

You can do it, if I can, you can, because many days I want to sleep and never wake up, but I do and I will keep going as I hope you will.

Sending lots of love and support,

xJenny

[Thank you red bird. What about reducing by 0.1mg now? Can you do that?

quote author=Redbird Flies link=topic=269847.msg3389163#msg3389163 date=1658150690]

I feel the same way and am holding at 2 mg of V for the last 2 months. I’m also wondering how I can taper from here and the what if questions of am I going to feel better when I’m done.

I feel the same way at 1.5mg xan.

I don’t know what to do. Debilitated with fear

Life review. And panic. I get no relief from benzo

It stopped working.

It is not easy hazzard. I still have 16mg to go. I guess we just have to keep doing our best. The fear of making a cut compared to longer time on the meds is hard one to call as well.

Take big care. You are being incredibly brave. Many of us here know this.

Would you consider swapping to another benzo - would that help? I dont know much about that but worth looking at.

I dont think I get any relief from.my meds. Plus the waves and windows appear unpredictable. And bloody hard work!

I feel the same way at 1.5mg xan.

I don’t know what to do. Debilitated with fear

Life review. And panic. I get no relief from benzo

It stopped working.