Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tell me I'm wrong!!!

[To...]

Tell me I'm wrong. But it seems to me that people who took benzo in monotherapy. They recover faster. And those who take AD have more mental symptoms and leaving with benzo takes much longer.

I've thought same, but don't really know. 

Makes sense though.  That's life, I guess. 

I'm still continuing to improve at 40 months.  Glacially. 

I don't think we can ever know this, and in my time here I haven't picked up on any anecdotal evidence to support it.  I believe looking for clues of a negative nature is counter productive, if you're looking for a negative outcome, you may just find it.  Isn't it better to have faith in your brains ability to heal, isn't it better to believe you can, not expect that you can't?

I know I sound like I'm pushing sunshine and puppies but its been believed for a long time that a positive attitude can make a huge difference in your health, why not give it a try?

Thank you Pamster but the question is will it still heal if other meds are going through your body like anti depressants or progesterone?

I would love to feel really positive but I have held for 5 or 6 weeks since combining the two benzos and I still feel the same. I just feel really demoralised. X

I think Pamster is right, although obviously in terms of medications, what you actually still need to take for mental and physical things is an ongoing conversation between you and your doctor. If it's any consolation, I've slowly wrenched myself - and, my god it was a wrench- off benzos, plus numerous other drugs both illicit and prescribed, over the years. I haven't checked my signature recently, but I have a feeling it might not be comprehensive in terms of everything I've pulled myself out of. From around 2013, I was on everything from citalopram and mertazapine and Sertraline at various points, plus codeine in combo on a regular basis plus about 40mg of diaz a day, plus Xanax. And a lot of alcohol. I'm now off the lot, and the anxiety and depression is gone, although still got all the residual physical symptom shit from cold turkeying Diaz and Xanax, that a lot of people get. What's helped more than anything, is forcing myself to change my mindset and ignore some of the advice I got, such as "don't exercise, it just makes the symptoms worse". I've ditched all processed foods- I just eat loads of raw vegetables, meat only once a week, although I now eat a lot of sushi and fish instead. I'm also doing "couch to 5k" NHS app, and despite being really physically ruined after diaz, this is really making a difference after 4 weeks. I was sceptical (I used to drive everywhere and did no exercise), and i know it's not for everyone, but that's what I am currently finding is helping. That plus wearing eat defenders all the time because I seem to have developed tinnitus really badly, and possibly autism (or maybe I've always had it) and that really helps me too.

Oh and this really helps too. I've ditched coffee and instead just drink loads (like 8 cups a day) of proper British tea made with milk. Like, not that awful Lipton's brand you get abroad- you need something like Yorkshire tea, or Ringtons (they ship internationally if you Google them). Reason being, it has lots of the chemical L-theanine in it, and for whatever reason, it seems to work lots better than the "pure" supplements you get online and in health foodshops . Just my experience, though.

Thank you Pamster but the question is will it still heal if other meds are going through your body like anti depressants or progesterone?

I would love to feel really positive but I have held for 5 or 6 weeks since combining the two benzos and I still feel the same. I just feel really demoralised. X

We've had thousands of members pass through this forum and while not all of them have posted to our Success Stories board, I'm confident a large portion of them have recovered while being on other medications, this forum is full of people who have been poly-drugged, just as JGT73 was.  A successful taper and recovery can't be passive, this is the most difficult thing many of us will ever face and it takes commitment and determination.  Its all about timing too, your time will come Miss piggy, I have confidence that when the time is right, you'll be successful.