Coming off of clonazepam

[Kl...]

-I wanted a support group, as I don't have one in my friend/family group.I am hoping to find people who have lived experiences with this, as I am very terrified of coming off of benzos. 

Hello,

Im looking for support and/advice. Most recently, I’ve started coming off of clonazpem. But I've taken lorazepam and alprazolam as well. While they have been helpful, my doctor thinks it is time for me to come off of them since I've been on benzos for so long. I am not ready to come off of them, as my anxiety is still bad.

My doctor doesn’t think it’s helping enough to use them. I’ve been through countless antipsychotics and antidepressants for anxiety without any relief. Benzos have provided at least some. I am not ready to taper, and I am extremely nervous to keep going through with it. I have urges to look into research chemical benzos.

My most recent clonazepam dosage is 1mg twice a day. We are doing a very slow taper (taking off 0.25mg once a month), but im already finding it difficult and want to give up.

Thank you for any thoughts.

First, I am sorry for all you've been through and that you don't feel ready to come off. But your doctor is right; it is a good idea to get off before any long-term damage is done. However, you definitely need to be in the right frame of mind and decided that you want off.

Cutting 0.25 mg per month may be too fast. Some people can tolerate it, at least in the beginning, and you may be one of them, but it is recommended on here to taper by 5 to 10% every 10 to 14 days, and the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition recommends going even slower at 5 to 10% per month. Your first cut would be 12.5%, but you could hold for the amount of time needed for symptoms to resolve or minimize before cutting again and just see how you do. That will help determine a tolerable taper rate.

I am sorry that you have to go through this. Are you on all 3 benzo's. I may get flack from this forum, but if you are not ready to taper, then you should not be forced off.

I think that being on 3 drugs is too much, though. The Ativan and Xanax are short acting and may be causing inter dose withdrawal. That causes more anxiety.

Your Dr is tapering you too high from the k. The Ashton Manuel recommends no more that 5-10% while cutting. That means you are cutting 12.5% off of your Klonopin. Also, if you have to taper, shorter acting drugs would be better to SLOWLY taper off of. Klonopin has a longer half life. I would save that for last.

If you are already having problems, you don't want to start this and get on the wrong path.

Maybe it would be wise to tell your Dr that you need to go slower in order not to have severe effects.

I would try to cut by .125mg which is a 6.25% cut.

Hopefully, this helps. I will be starting to taper again in a month or 2. I have been at this along time and was doing well until setbacks out of my control. It is hard, but doable. It is scary. There is no beating around the bush here. Again, if you get off to a good start, then you will be more inclined to move forward.

Dana

Thank you all so much for the advice already. I should clarify that I am not on clonazepam, alprazolam, and lorazepam all together. I just have a history with those medications. I am on clonazepam (and Zolpidem for insomnia). I’m glad to hear that others think the taper is too quick. I have felt “guilty” for not being able to tolerate the withdrawal symptoms this early on. I will talk to my doctor to ask about an even slower taper. I can’t imagine feeling this uncomfortable for months. Hopefully, a slower taper will help a little bit. I do want to get to a place one day where I’m back on taking benzos as needed, I just don’t know if I feel ready.

Please don't feel guilty. There is no shame at all. This a tough endeavor, to say the least.

Klonopin is a hard one to taper from as it is pretty strong and binds more tightly to the GABA receptors. More the reason to go low and slow.

Some people can only taper 2% of their total dose per month. Again, it all depends on the individual.

I think suggesting the .125mg per month is possible. Remember, the % will change as you go lower.

You need to assess how you feel and then adjust accordingly.

Also, after cutting, you have to listen to your body and see when you get symptoms and how long they last. That will give you an idea of how you can proceed and it won't be so scary.

Keep a journal. That will help you tremendously to keep track of how you feel, when the symptoms may come on and how long they last. You need to give your body and brain time to adjust to the cut.

Eventually, as you get much lower, a micro taper would be wise. There are people on here that are great with the math. For now, just focus on getting your Dr on board with a lower cut per month.

Hope this helps. 

[fb...]

Hi KleeKaiOwner,

are you familiar with the Ashton Manual?

-I wanted a support group, as I don't have one in my friend/family group.I am hoping to find people who have lived experiences with this, as I am very terrified of coming off of benzos. 

Hello,

Im looking for support and/advice. Most recently, I’ve started coming off of clonazpem. But I've taken lorazepam and alprazolam as well. While they have been helpful, my doctor thinks it is time for me to come off of them since I've been on benzos for so long. I am not ready to come off of them, as my anxiety is still bad.

My doctor doesn’t think it’s helping enough to use them. I’ve been through countless antipsychotics and antidepressants for anxiety without any relief. Benzos have provided at least some. I am not ready to taper, and I am extremely nervous to keep going through with it. I have urges to look into research chemical benzos.

My most recent clonazepam dosage is 1mg twice a day. We are doing a very slow taper (taking off 0.25mg once a month), but im already finding it difficult and want to give up.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Hello all,

Thank you very much for all of the feedback. I am not familiar with the Ashton Manual or NAD therapy (aside from a quick Google search). One of the symptoms I wasn't expecting, which has been getting worse during the taper, is my depression worsening. Is this normal/ have any of you experienced this before?

You were given a link to the Ashton manual when you were welcomed to the forum by magrita, the team leaves a link for just about everyone who joins.  What I like about the manual is chapter 3, it lists your symptoms and why you feel them, it helped me feel like what I was feeling was normal, or maybe I should say common since normal isn't a word we can use for this horrible process.  Here is the link if you'd like to take a look at it. The Ashton Manual

As for depression, yes, its also a common symptom and its also common for symptoms to change, morph, lessen and increase, we never know how we're going to feel from one day to the next.  Just keep asking questions so we can reassure you.