Opioid opinion?

[Fa...]

So I am on an around the clock regimen of buprenorphine, dilaudid and norco for a severe accident 15 years ago. There’s no chance I’ll be able to function without pain relief for the rest of my life which is heartbreaking to think about as is. Im getting so many mixed reviews on whether or not there’s any specific issues with this and benzo withdrawal. Im up against the wall considering like i said I have no chance of life without pain control. But does anyone have any valuable info or experience as just thinking about this exacerbates my stress

I'm so sorry for you my dear sweet benzo buddy. I wish I had some answers for you. I wonder if one of the moderators might have some experience with this. I know most of the buddies try not to take extra drugs when in withdrawal. But in your situation with all your pain I know you don't have a choice. Most of the time what I have heard is you have to get off of a benzo first and make sure you are stabilized, before you get off of any other drugs. So, with that being said I'm hoping that this shouldn't interfere with your benzo recovery. But I honestly don't know and wish I had answers for you. Sending you big hugs!

LiveLife

I've had to take opioids a couple of times for pain.  Compression fracture vertebrae.  Seemed to help with benzo withdrawal. 

My case is different in that you look to be taking them for life, whereas I am not.  Just my experience having taken them only a couple of times. 

The only thing to really be aware of is that benzos potentiate opioids. The effect can be quite remarkable. Without the benzos, you will likely need higher opioid doses for the same effect. They aren't cross-tolerant so withdrawal of one doesn't pose problems with the other than dose adjustments.

I'm so sorry for you my dear sweet benzo buddy. I wish I had some answers for you. I wonder if one of the moderators might have some experience with this. I know most of the buddies try not to take extra drugs when in withdrawal. But in your situation with all your pain I know you don't have a choice. Most of the time what I have heard is you have to get off of a benzo first and make sure you are stabilized, before you get off of any other drugs. So, with that being said I'm hoping that this shouldn't interfere with your benzo recovery. But I honestly don't know and wish I had answers for you. Sending you big hugs!

LiveLife

Thank you!!! I just have this insane fear that the pain medicine may mean a never ending benzo withdrawal although I have a feeling my creative anxiety is getting the best of me here. Thanks for the kind words!!!!

The only thing to really be aware of is that benzos potentiate opioids. The effect can be quite remarkable. Without the benzos, you will likely need higher opioid doses for the same effect. They aren't cross-tolerant so withdrawal of one doesn't pose problems with the other than dose adjustments.

Ok so I never thought about it from that angle. I think I’m going to discuss this with pain management rather than keep meeting the anxiety build in my head. Thank you for that info. Much appreciated