World problems on my shoulders! Any advice to help please.

[Bu...]

Please advise! I always knew the world was ugly. However, now in benzo withdrawal, it's overwhelming me. Anything triggers me. We donate as much money as we can to try to help but... I care deeply about animals but people concern me, too. Poverty in a first-world country like mine is disgusting and I don't get it! It's killing me. Sorry to sound needy.

Bulldog, I hear you. It seems there is nothing we can do about the myriad world problems around us. I am sorry you feel these so keenly.

But I have a suggestion -- something that has worked for me. Focus on one thing that will let you make a difference. You say you are deeply about animals -- why not help them directly? Near me is a wildlife rehab center, also 2 animal shelters. It makes me feel  much better to go help them directly as a volunteer (I help prepare meals for the rescued critters at the wildlife center,  and deliver pet food to shut-ins and the elderly for one of the shelters. The latter is sort of a Meals on Wheels service for cats  and dogs).

Animal rescue/rehabs/shelters are always looking for volunteers. If you're a "people person" which I am not, you could volunteer to work in their thrift store. Just about every rescue/shelter has one. I find hands-on helping to be much more satisfying that just writing a check. And seeing how you are making a difference might make you feel less helpless in the world. Go check out a rescue/shelter's website! Or email them. They'll tell you what they need. (For example, my local shelter needs cat whisperers, lol!)

Just a thought.  :smitten:

Katz

You might not be able to turn off your mind, but you can start by turning off your TV so you don't have to watch the ugly news. 

For the time being, ignore the pleas for money and skip over the stories of poverty, sickness, and abuse.

I get inundated by mailed requests for money, even after I've given some.  I care deeply about animals, too, but I hate receiving HSUS appeals every week.

Please advise! I always knew the world was ugly. However, now in benzo withdrawal, it's overwhelming me. Anything triggers me. We donate as much money as we can to try to help but... I care deeply about animals but people concern me, too. Poverty in a first-world country like mine is disgusting and I don't get it! It's killing me. Sorry to sound needy.

I feel the same way, you are not alone by any means, I know so many people who are so deeply upset by the state of the world today.

I agree, for now you may need to disengage from news, and stop feeding your benzo brain with things that are anxiety provoking.

I like to go on to youtube and listen to Eckhart Tolle speak, he has a very calming presence and speaks on topics of deeper consciousness. Just the fact that you are a good human is doing something to contribute positively to the greater consciousness of this world. Just being you, and caring is important.

He is not a guru or a cultist by any means, just try one short video and See if he has a positive effect.

He reminds me of Yoda LOL.

Sending warmest regards to you,

xJenny

Thanks, J!!! I do always tell myself to not hear what's going on in the world now. You're right, it's not helping me. I have Eckhart's books from 15 years back and I did like them. I've studied Christianity extensively in the recent past but, strangely, nothing brings me comfort. I feel I'm just trying to keep alive.