6 months off Xanax - will my heart palpitations ever stop?

[ji...]

I used to take between 1-4mg of Xanax for around 10 years.. over the past 2 years I have been slowly tapering off, I'm now free and have been for 6 months. At first I thought it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be - but there was some kind of delayed onset, as after about 3 months clean I found it increasingly harder to fall asleep -- the biggest issue I find is that my heart palpitations always go crazy when I lie down to sleep.

It doesn't matter how I sleep, on my left side, right side, or back - I can constantly hear my heart thumping away.

Will it ever go back to normal or is this something I will have for life?

Appreciate any wisdom!

Hey Maggie, no I haven't. I'm a bit hesitant about going on another drugs - but will speak to my doctor about it!

Are you still on beta blockers now?

I feel I could cope with the palpitations if I knew they would only last so long, but as it's been 6 months since I stopped Xanax, I'm wondering if it will ever go back to normal.

Do any of you have low bp who take beta blockers ? I have propranolol but I usually have low bp and hr so I get a bit nervous to take during panic

I've been on on low dose beta blockers for decades (Metaprolol XL) for arrhythmia and hypertension.  It has definitely helped with the added palps I get from WD plus it also helps to block the adrenaline rushes from panic/anxiety.    Heather Ashton mentions that beta blockers can be helpful for benzo WD.    If you decide to use it,  it has to be tapered off, but don't worry, it won't be anything like tapering benzos. 

I had horrible PVC's for a few years, i took a beta blocks only when they got really bad which was often.

I am off of them now and my PVC's rarely happen, there is hope, like everything else its about time.

started about 4 months after my last dose of benzos.