SOMA / benzodiazepines equivalenece

[Be...]

I was prescribed SOMA for pain and I know it is similar to benzos, but have no idea on the equivalence between them. I used it twice (50-125 m), more than 2 months apart, to make extenuating activities and avoid muscle spasms. Does anyone know the equivalence between soma and benzos? I just want to know the size of the hole in which I am entering. TY.

Which benzo do you want to know the equivalence for?

Katz

The equivalence among benzos is well known, but could be Valium. TY

Ok, read up some more on Soma (carisoprodol).

From Wikipedia:

Carisoprodol, has a chemical structure similar to Glutamate, a neurotransmitter, and dimethylglycine. Upon analysis, this pharmacological agent seems to be an agonist of the NMDA receptor, with an unknown [Km]. Since excess Glutamate causes excitotoxicity and neuronal apoptosis, Carisoprodol overdose may also lead to NMDA related toxicity, thus inducing seizures at high doses, and muscle relaxation upon administration.

Carisoprodol's structural similarity to Meprobamate indicates GABAergic activity, including GABA A agonism, similar to the mechanism of benzodiazepines.[29] This will allow for further muscle relaxation and anxiety reduction. Therefore, Carisoprodol, at low to moderate dosages, may be clinically indicated for absent seizures, yet exacerbate Tonic-clonic seizures.

So this drug works on NMDA receptors as an agonist which is excitory and it acts an an agonist of GABA receptors which is inhibitory. That weird dual activity is unexpected.

I don't think you can make a direct equivalence between this drug and a benzo. I don't know how it would affect someone with post benzo issues.

The equivalence among benzos is well known, but could be Valium

Benzos are individual in their equivalence.  "Well known" indeed.  That's pretty dismissive. Yeah, you could look them up yourself on any chart. "Could be valium"? I guess you want to know the equivalent dosage of some Soma to some valium? But we have to guess how much? As Nathan pointed out, there probably isn't any. Equivalence that is.

Katz

Thanks Katz and Nathan

Yes, I was looking on the equivalence between SOMA and Valium, but I agree that they are not comparable drugs. The thing is, my doctor prescribed me a medication that is a combination of Tylenol, Diclofenac and Carisoprodol. I took it inadvertently (my bad) and was chocked after realizing that Carisoprodol is the same as SOMA (read many times about it here). I took only a quarter of the pill twice and felt a lot less pain and more able to go out at sea (I work scuba diving). Now I just want to know if this count as a relapse or not. Anyway, I will just skip this poison an try to believe that I have not restarted my healing clock. This is such a slow and long journey that every step backwards is annoying.

Thank you, friends

The equivalence among benzos is well known, but could be Valium

Benzos are individual in their equivalence.  "Well known" indeed.  That's pretty dismissive. Yeah, you could look them up yourself on any chart. "Could be valium"? I guess you want to know the equivalent dosage of some Soma to some valium? But we have to guess how much? As Nathan pointed out, there probably isn't any. Equivalence that is.

Katz

Katz, thank you for your help. I did not intend to be dismissive. I was typing and taking care of my child at the same time. I never have time to write my ideas fully. I am sorry.