Visual / Perceptual Symptoms

[Su...]

Hi all, I'm 26 days completely off of Klonopin.  During the 16 months before stopping completely, I was only taking a .25mg Klonopin as needed - usually for events like concerts or for going to the movies, but sometimes in the mornings as well.

Perceptual / visual problems are my most burdensome symptoms and have been ever since I stopped taking Klonopin daily (April of 2021.)  Flashing or alternating lights (e.g. police lights, strobe lights, sunlight coming through the trees while driving, light coming through the spinning blades of a ceiling fan, etc.) make me nauseous and raise my heart rate.  Patterns like stripes and blinds are dizzying and elicit a tv static-like appearance; sometimes similar to heat waves - comparable to looking at the pavement on a hot summer day.  Reading text on a computer screen (especially white text on a black background) can cause the same feeling.  "Flicker vertigo" seems to be the definition many doctors go with, although it isn't quite as all-encompassing as what I'm experiencing.  I was tested for epilepsy with an EEG - I'm not epileptic.

Has anyone experienced something similar?  And if so, how long before it begins to at least become tolerable?  Are there any coping mechanisms, medical or otherwise, one would recommend? 

Klonopin is the worst benzo for having eye issues. I understand what you are going through. Light really bother me the most, mainly led. This is all normal at your stage and it will get better. My coping mechanism has been my phone. Games, internet, etc. hang in there it will get better.