Two day use of ativan after stopping cross tolerant progesterone cream

[La...]

I took ativan for 2 days, 2 -1 mg doses, and next day a night dose of 1 mg. This comes on the heals of stopping my progesterone cream which is cross tolerant to benzos. I took the Ativan because I’ve been in a state of high anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite, and panic. Mind you I’ve been off of benzodiazepines for years. Doing great, then started hormone replacement therapy 8 months ago, which included progesterone. Stopped my therapy in mid June because I started  having strange symptoms, similar to benzo tolerance withdrawal. Fast forward, I’ve been having high anxiety, panic, insomnia, loss of appetite, fear etc. I ended up at the doctors office in really bad shape, he prescribed ativan even though I have it on my chart as an allergy. It got so bad over the weekend that out if desperation I took an .5 ativan. It wasn’t enough to calm what was happening, so I took another .5. Took 2 more in the evening and had a fitful sleep for a few hours. Next day I was fine without any ativan until night came and I took 2 more .5. That had a paradoxical affect on me and I was full of energy but pacing back and forth for hours. Only slept for 45 minutes. Had horrible anxiety the next day. Didn’t want to take more ativan, so I was advised to get some propranolol. Which I did. It helped to get rid of the anxiety, racing heart etc. I feel almost normal. But now at night, I’m having a hard time sleeping, and feeling more anxiety. Here is my question, could I be in benzo withdrawal from taking those 3 doses, because I had been using something cross tolerant for months? It’s been more than 24 hours since my last ativan dose. When will symptoms happen if they come? Will I feel them outside of the propranolol? Am I already in a withdrawal from the progesterone, and is this why I’m having all these physical symptoms. Now that I reintroduced ativan into my system, am I screwed? Is withdrawal inevitable? What do I do if it does and it gets bad? I’m scared..Do o take ativan again to pull me out of it? I’m really scared. Please help. Laelani

No one knows how to respond to this unordinwry situation. Is it a benzo like withdrawal I’m going through, yes. Did I make it worse by taking ativan? I feel like it’s worse now. My heart doesn’t stop pounding out of my chest ever. I can’t sleep. When I do I’m jerked awake. I can’t eat. This is all before taking a few doses of ativan. I shouldn’t have taken it. It added to this withdrawal. Now I’m worse, and scared and wondering if I need to go on valium and do a slow taper to stabilize or is this like a cold turkey. I’m going to be admitted to the psych hospital today. I’m terrified because I’m in withdrawal and they won’t know how to treat me. Laelani

Try to call or get in touch with one of the. Benzo wise doctors on the BIC site?  I speak to a therapist from Lucid Lane out of California but they have therapists through out the US.  They take Medicare and Medicaid.  Maybe Dr. Jennifer Leigh or Baylissa may have information for you.  You could look up Geraldine Burns she does a Benzo podcast and may have some guidance.  Your situation is complicated and I think it’s beyond the scope on here.  Have you searched for HRT or progesterone on here.  Best of luck and take care.

Try to call or get in touch with one of the. Benzo wise doctors on the BIC site?  I speak to a therapist from Lucid Lane out of California but they have therapists through out the US.  They take Medicare and Medicaid.  Maybe Dr. Jennifer Leigh or Baylissa may have information for you.  You could look up Geraldine Burns she does a Benzo podcast and may have some guidance.  Your situation is complicated and I think it’s beyond the scope on here.  Have you searched for HRT or progesterone on here.  Best of luck and take care.

I believe I’m going through the withdrawal now. My anxiety and panic are sky high, I’m shaking, throwing up, pacing, skin burning, no sleep last night. The progesterone withdrawal had intensified 10-fold because I took ativan. I need to go on valium to taper. Otherwise it’s a cold turkey. I can find anyone available to speak to from those names you posted. I need help. I can’t go through this. I need to slow taper. Can I take the ativan again until I get valium to taper? I’m freaking out. I can’t do this withdrawal. I need help.

I am not a doctor and have no idea what to tell you?  Maybe a Admin or mod will jump in here?  @pamster @pianogirl

laelani, I can't speakl from the voice of experience about taking a dose of Ativan after you've been off for several years or the issue with the progesterone.  I do know from experience that nightfall can be such a trigger for anxiety - it certainly has been for me in the past.  I urge you consider going to a hosptal or mental health facility if you aren't feeling safe and I hope you consider doing this before you take more Ativan.  It sounds like you've done so well off benzos and I would hate to see you get more involved with them.

laelani, I can't speakl from the voice of experience about taking a dose of Ativan after you've been off for several years or the issue with the progesterone.  I do know from experience that nightfall can be such a trigger for anxiety - it certainly has been for me in the past.  I urge you consider going to a hosptal or mental health facility if you aren't feeling safe and I hope you consider doing this before you take more Ativan.  It sounds like you've done so well off benzos and I would hate to see you get more involved with them.

I don’t plan on doing more. I regret taking the ativan. It’s caused the progesterone withdrawal to intensify greatly. I thought about doing a valium taper, to avoid such a horrible withdrawal, but I decided not to do that. I’m very sick already. Not sure how long this will last since I was using a cream that gets stored in your tissues. I’ve lost so much weight already. Can’t eat or sleep. Panic, anxiety, fear. I don’t want to go to bed at night. I can’t believe I’m reliving this nightmare. I’m terrified.

I recall a time in my life when I didn't want to go to bed at night due to terrible anxiety.  I had some of that problem when I tapered off benzos, too, because I wasn't sleeping well.  It really stinks when you look forward to having some relief (sleep) only sleep won't come.  I'm so sorry you in this loop right now laelani - I know it feels scary.