Paradoxical Reaction & Tapering Quickly

[Pa...]

Hi,

I have been taking Diazepam for 6 days (3 days 8mg, 2 days 4mg and today only 2mg so far).

I am fairly sure I am having a paradoxical reaction to the medication as it hasn't helped my issue and infact made me feel worse after a dose. The further I get from taking a dose the better I seem to feel. How common is this? Everything I've read seems to say it's very rare but I definitely feel it fits with me.

I am looking to stop it ASAP but I'm very scared of having withdrawals as I don't know if I could handle that on top of my other issues (bad reaction to other medication which was the reason I was given diazepam). Now that I am at 2mg today will I withdraw if I cease taking anymore from now? I know most literature states you need to be on it weeks before a dependence forms but I feel I will get an accurate answer on here from people who know first hand about it.

Please help, I'm extremely anxious!

Just stop. If I'm reading this correctly, you have taken 6 doses and you are having an adverse reaction to it?? WD occurs once your body is dependent on something, after 6 doses it's almost unheard of to be dependent. On the other hand you are possibly doing yourself harm by taking something that your body doesn't support.

May I ask why you are taking it, what meds did you have a reaction to, and why in such doses?

Just stop. If I'm reading this correctly, you have taken 6 doses and you are having an adverse reaction to it?? WD occurs once your body is dependent on something, after 6 doses it's almost unheard of to be dependent. On the other hand you are possibly doing yourself harm by taking something that your body doesn't support.

May I ask why you are taking it, what meds did you have a reaction to, and why in such doses?

I have had 4 doses Thursday last week (4x2mg), the same on Friday and Saturday, then Sunday I had 2 doses (2x2mg), the same yesterday and today I have had 1 dose of 2mg. I believe it has had an adverse reaction as I feel worse after taking it.

I am taking it because last week I developed a severe psychological reaction to steroids and it was prescribed to help me cope with the effects until they subsided. I didn't realise at the time how addictive it can be and am very frightened to be on it now. The dosing was prescribed as 4x 2mg daily as my doctor stated they didn't want to give me a high dose.

So with all that being said do you believe if I now cease taking it I will avoid withdrawal/dependence?

I apologise if I am at all repetitive or confusing but I am still in a fragile anxious state and don't want to replace the problem that started last week with a new one from this medication. Thanks.

You're well within the period to be considered a short-term user.  Can you split the pill , then take the 1/2 dose, then jump off to 0?  That may allay your anxiety over this.

Yes, I could certainly split the pill in half and take 1mg tomorrow then cease.

I was however hoping to cease after today's dose due to how they seem to make me feel. Not sure what to do for the best.

Am I likely to be ok if I just cease now without splitting a pill tomorrow?

Yes, I could certainly split the pill in half and take 1mg tomorrow then cease.

I was however hoping to cease after today's dose due to how they seem to make me feel. Not sure what to do for the best.

Am I likely to be ok if I just cease now without splitting a pill tomorrow?

You're very likely to be ok whether you cease it now or tomorrow.  I was thinking a half dose would give you less paradoxicl effects, too.

Personally I would just stop. You haven't been taking it long enough for 1 dose of 1mg to make any difference.

Thanks. I think I will stop today and not take any tomorrow.

I'm so anxious of withdrawal which I know probably sounds ridiculous to everyone on here but these tablets have put the fear of God into me.

Is there absolutely no potential of withdrawals at this stage for me?

The sooner you stop the less likely you are to have withdrawal symptoms. Please don't let the fear of withdrawal let you continue taking these drugs. The best you could do is just stop it and go and live a happy life!