I need help please. Any one please

[La...]

Hello,

I’m back from many years away from the forum. I need your help please. I’m not sure what’s happening to me. I was using progesterone cream for my hormone replacement therapy. After 7 months of use, it started giving me a reaction similar to bring in benzo  withdrawal. I stopped all my hrt cold turkey. Was having a really bad withdrawal very similar to benzo withdrawal. Progesterone is cross tolerant to benzos. I decided to go back on my hormones but in between tries remeron for 4 days and I had a bad reaction so stopped it. Then I used my progesterone cream agsin and it gave me a bad reaction. Instead of relaxing me, it did the opposite, racing heart, insomnia, akthesia, full blown panic, I couldn’t stop my body from moving. My doctor gave me ativan which I didn’t want to touch but I needed something because I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin. I took 2 1 mg Ativan’s the 1st day and it calmed me down. Second day .5 then in an hour another .5. Well that second dose through my for a loop, pacing the floor fervently, heart racing in and out of my chest, panic, can’t sleep. Can’t stop moving my body. What exactly has been happening to me with this progesterone cream and now 2 days of prn ativan. I barely slept and feel like I’m going to bust out of skin. I need help please!

Anyone??? If progesterone works on the same gaba a receptors then is it like I’ve been taking a benzo for months? Is it identical? So now when I take an ativan to get me out of this withdrawal from the progesterone, it reacts completely different and is ramping me up instead of calming me. Causing akethisa. By hitting the same receptor is it like adding duke to the fire? Do I need to start Valium at a comfortable dose, stabilize and start tapering from there? Am I in a withdrawal? I wasn’t going to take ativan last night, but my heart started racing and pounding, I was pacing and couldn’t stop moving. Insomnia, no appetite. I don’t know where to her answers. I’m not functioning.. please anyone know what is happening in my body ??

No one knows what is happening to me. If progesterone can cause a withdrawal like benzos.

Took 2 doses of ativan to get me out of an extremely bad akthesia from the progesterone withdrawal. Now I’m having a paradoxical effect from the ativan. I only took 3 doses. My receptors must be beyond far gone. Kindled. I won’t take anymore ativan, and suffer whatever is to come. It will be hell.

Hi Laelani,

I'm so sorry you are going through this! I'm not sure what I can offer by way of advice, as I have no medical expertise. I will say that I took Bio-identical progesterone cream for a while, and though it initially worked, after a few months it started to make me feel crawling-out-of-my-skin anxious. Your doctor may want to check ALL your hormone levels to see what's what. Also, I believe that progesterone cream can stay in the tissues for quite a while, which can prolong side effects (and doesn't show up on hormone labs). Here is a warning about BHRT that I always keep in the back of my mind: https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/30/warning-about-natural-progesterone

I would be careful about reinstating a benzo. Wishing you strength, hope, and perseverance. You will get through this!

Hi Laelani,

I'm so sorry you are going through this! I'm not sure what I can offer by way of advice, as I have no medical expertise. I will say that I took Bio-identical progesterone cream for a while, and though it initially worked, after a few months it started to make me feel crawling-out-of-my-skin anxious. Your doctor may want to check ALL your hormone levels to see what's what. Also, I believe that progesterone cream can stay in the tissues for quite a while, which can prolong side effects (and doesn't show up on hormone labs). Here is a warning about BHRT that I always keep in the back of my mind: https://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/30/warning-about-natural-progesterone

I would be careful about reinstating a benzo. Wishing you strength, hope, and perseverance. You will get through this!

Thank you for responding. I’ve read that report of progesterone cream. I’m well aware of it. I stopped it and started having benzo like withdrawal symptoms. Then I tried 4 days of remeron and had horrible side effects so I stopped after 4 days. Then all hell broke lose 4 days after stopping the remeron and I was back in severe withdrawal. So I took ativan. 3 doses. Last one gave me a paradoxical effect. Now I’m scared shittless, and know I will be in full blown withdrawal. The ativan helped get rid of the withdrawal I was having from the cream and or remeron. Now I’m stuck. I stopped the progesterone cream. I’m having akthesia. I don’t know how to stabilize. My body is hyper vigilant. Won’t stop moving. I can’t stop shaking 

I'm no expert, but if I were in your shoes, I would stop adding gasoline to the fire. The Remeron isn't helping. The Ativan isn't helping. I know you must be feeling desperate to find something that will alleviate the distressing symptoms. If I were you, I would focus on breathing, accepting the symptoms (which seems daft, but helps), and trying to access the power of your vagus nerve to calm the entire central nervous system, starting with the basic exercise: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=basic+exercise+vagus+nerve&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_IyHDYqjzA4aeptQPhduluAM16

I hope that helps. I feel for you.

Hi Laelani,

Thank you for responding. I’ve read that report of progesterone cream. I’m well aware of it. I stopped it and started having benzo like withdrawal symptoms. Then I tried 4 days of remeron and had horrible side effects so I stopped after 4 days. Then all hell broke lose 4 days after stopping the remeron and I was back in severe withdrawal. So I took ativan. 3 doses. Last one gave me a paradoxical effect. Now I’m scared shittless, and know I will be in full blown withdrawal. The ativan helped get rid of the withdrawal I was having from the cream and or remeron. Now I’m stuck. I stopped the progesterone cream. I’m having akthesia. I don’t know how to stabilize. My body is hyper vigilant. Won’t stop moving. I can’t stop shaking

What did you do once you found that the cream was causing the anxiety. Did you just stop it with no problems? Did you use another form of progesterone? Or not use any at all? Did you suffer with withdrawal? I’ve read other instances where women have had to go on Valium and taper slowly to get through the withdrawal and function.

Once I realized it was the cream causing my symptoms, I stopped completely. I did not add any other progesterone. I had my hormone levels tested. I was highly estrogen dominant, so I started taking a supplement to bring that down. I was already also in benzo tolerance withdrawal, so I did not add any benzo.

Once I realized it was the cream causing my symptoms, I stopped completely. I did not add any other progesterone. I had my hormone levels tested. I was highly estrogen dominant, so I started taking a supplement to bring that down. I was already also in benzo tolerance withdrawal, so I did not add any benzo.

I see so you were already on a benzo. That may be why you didn’t feel any withdrawal from it.

I did feel withdrawal from the progesterone, but it was helped, at least in the long run, by balancing my other hormones. My symptoms were not as severe as what you are describing, but I'd wager that the paradoxical Ativan is the worst culprit.

I did feel withdrawal from the progesterone, but it was helped, at least in the long run, by balancing my other hormones. My symptoms were not as severe as what you are describing, but I'd wager that the paradoxical Ativan is the worst culprit.

So now I made this situation worse with the ativan ? Now my withdrawal will be even worse because I introduced it back into my body

Hi Laelani, I am so sorry you are going through this. I would get off the Atvian immediately and ask the the Dr. for propranolol. The first line of treatment for Akathisia is propranolol.. These Drs. and their damn benzos !!  I have read that a lot of people have problems with progesterone.

Hang in there. 

Okay you were healed from your benzo 100 percent?  but still on psych meds until 2018? You were barely off all for 3 years before introducing the hrt.  So you were med free from 2018 and were you still having sx or in wd from the other meds?  Why did you start taking the HRT? Were you on anything else?  You started having sx from the hrt?  Then added Remeron and Ativan to try and stop it?  3 doses of A is not necessarily the cause if you were already having sx from hrt.  So yes now that you are off the hrt you may have sx and nobody can say how long or severe it will be.  You have to accept it and distract.  In time it will fade.  If you continue to take the A to control the sx you will be tapering that too.  I don’t believe it will be any where as bad as the A but check with a doctor to get better info.  None of us are experts. 

I don't know if you made the situation worse with the Ativan - I was only suggesting not taking any more Ativan. Someone suggested propranolol, which sounds like a good idea. Wishing you patience and relief.

Okay you were healed from your benzo 100 percent?  but still on psych meds until 2018? You were barely off all for 3 years before introducing the hrt.  So you were med free from 2018 and were you still having sx or in wd from the other meds?  Why did you start taking the HRT? Were you on anything else?  You started having sx from the hrt?  Then added Remeron and Ativan to try and stop it?  3 doses of A is not necessarily the cause if you were already having sx from hrt.  So yes now that you are off the hrt you may have sx and nobody can say how long or severe it will be.  You have to accept it and distract.  In time it will fade.  If you continue to take the A to control the sx you will be tapering that too.  I don’t believe it will be any where as bad as the A but check with a doctor to get better info.  None of us are experts.

I’ve been healed for many years off the benzodiazepines. I tapered all the other psych meds slowly and successfully without any further symptoms. I was well and healthy for a long time. I decided to start hrt in November to help with menopausal symptoms and life longevity. I was doing fine until I wasn’t in June. I lost my son in December and it created a lot of stress and trauma. I started experiencing

symptoms of panic , insomnia and anxiety. I thought it could be from my progesterone cream since it’s cross tolerant to a benzo. Like I was having withdrawal symptoms. So I stopped my hrt out of fear. Bad decision as I started suffering from bad symptoms. A ton of anxiety, insomnia, no appetite, fear etc.

I tried my progesterone cream again and it gave me a horrible reaction after 2 days. I decided to not use it again. Then I tried remeron for 4 days to help with the insomnia and anxiety. It didn’t agree with me. I stopped it after 4 days. Had severe anxiety after for days, akethisa. So went to see the doctor and he prescribed ativan. I broke down and took it out of desperation. 3 mgs in total. The one I took last night caused extreme agitation and akethisa. I have extreme panic and anxiety today. When I took .5 ativan it wasn’t enough to cover my withdrawal from the progesterone cream so y had to take 1mg to cover it. 3 doses and I’m terrified that I’m dependent on it especially because I was on a progesterone cream that is cross tolerant to benzodiazepines. I haven’t been well for weeks. Trying to stabilize but can’t. I’m at the doctors now trying to get propanorol. If I can’t I don’t think can survive this extreme amount of raging anxiety. 

Really interesting about the Vegas nerve. Thank you for sharing.

I have also been placed on hrt during my withdrawal and also on the pop bc pill. It is all a bit of a mess as too scared to come off anything. Think my doc just threw everything at me!!

I'm no expert, but if I were in your shoes, I would stop adding gasoline to the fire. The Remeron isn't helping. The Ativan isn't helping. I know you must be feeling desperate to find something that will alleviate the distressing symptoms. If I were you, I would focus on breathing, accepting the symptoms (which seems daft, but helps), and trying to access the power of your vagus nerve to calm the entire central nervous system, starting with the basic exercise: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=basic+exercise+vagus+nerve&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_IyHDYqjzA4aeptQPhduluAM16

I hope that helps. I feel for you.

Take heart, Lealani. You will survive this trial! Deep condolences on the passing of your son. You sound like a very strong person to me. I hope that you are able to find some relief with the propranolol. Sending prayers for your comfort.

Take heart, Lealani. You will survive this trial! Deep condolences on the passing of your son. You sound like a very strong person to me. I hope that you are able to find some relief with the propranolol. Sending prayers for your comfort.

Thank you for your condolences. I’m at the pharmacy picking up propanerol. I hope and pray it works to calm me so I can even talk and leave my room. My fear is over the top. I’m having adrenaline surges, and tremoring . I know the doctor says this is temporary, so I’m scared of what will happen when it runs out. I have no relief. It feels like withdrawal anxiety. I feel like I’m gonna die

The propranolol will definitely help with the akathisia and you may only need it for a couple of days or weeks. Try to relax. It is highly unlikely that you became dependent on Ativan with only 3 doses. Just don't take anymore and you will be fine. All this fear of becoming dependent on the Ativan is probably causing a lot of your symptoms. The propranolol will help you relax and slow your racing heart.  I am very sorry about your son.

You will be okay!! Just try and relax!!  Lots of hugs and prayers!!

The propranolol will definitely help with the akathisia and you may only need it for a couple of days or weeks. Try to relax. It is highly unlikely that you became dependent on Ativan with only 3 doses. Just don't take anymore and you will be fine. All this fear of becoming dependent on the Ativan is probably causing a lot of your symptoms. The propranolol will help you relax and slow your racing heart.  I am very sorry about your son.

You will be okay!! Just try and relax!!  Lots of hugs and prayers!!

I took the med and my heart is still beating out of my chest. Still have huge anxiety. How long does it take to work ?

Reluctant, thanks for that exercise! I did it leaning back in a chair, and wow, really loosened me up!

I will say remeron is the worst drug ever and is really terrible with benzos.  The rest I don't know about!