Personality Changes

[Aw...]

Hi all,

I’ve been on Ativan for about 4 years now. For the past 2 years I have noticed a big personality change. I find myself snapping at people and being angry for no reason. I can’t tolerate the smallest annoyance (chewing loud, etc.). I’ve also noticed that I can not stand to be touched most of the time, I barely hold my boyfriend’s hand anymore. This is not me and not the person I used to be. I am looking for others who have had a similar situation and is now off benzos. Did you notice the change once you starting tapering, or only when you stopped totally? I am so scared that I will never go back to my happy-go-lucky self.

Hi Awesomeaussie15

I have also noticed a lot of personality changes since being on these drugs and coming off. I am irritable, anxious and much less confident than I used to be. I have read a lot of posts from people here saying they get angry. It's normal to be scared that you'll never return to your old self, but that is a symptom in itself. The drug lies to us and make us believe this is never going to change or "I'm the only one that will never heal".

I have seen so many come out the other side feeling like a normal person again. For me, some of these symptoms are already starting to improve while tapering. Situations that used to cause severe anxiety now only triggers moderate anxiety. I understand you're scared but I promise, you will return to the person you once knew.  :hug:

That's not your personality changing, that's just the benzo's making you irritable  :)

I recognize this. If I'm running outside and a car approaches me or some teenagers come cycling by I think to myself: 'p*ss off, f*ck off, leave me the f*ck alone.' That's how irritated I am, but I am a still a very calm friendly person who is always nice to everyone (except if you're not nice to me, then I just ignore that person).

Yes, benzo withdrawal has made me EXTREMELY irritable, angry and scared. Looks like this is a normal part of withdrawal, though. It's very tough, I know. Hang in there! Blessings!!