Not sure where to post this...a friend called me a drug addict

[co...]

One of my best friends is deeply into the 12 step stuff. She goes to AA. Has for years, but she's not an alcoholic. She will go to NA, OA,etc. She has already called me an alcoholic because I drink maybe 3 or 4 drinks a year. She said I need to go to AA. Been bugging me about this for years.

Well, the other day she told me I was a drug addict on my Facebook page.  She knows I'm tapering from klonopin.  She knows I'm on a bunch of psych meds. She claims that I need to go to detox and then rehab because I abuse benzos. That I'm doing it for FUN. That I can't control myself around klonopin.  I was furious. I'm NOT an addict. I take it as prescribed. I'm not sneaking around on the streets for it. I DO NOT Have fun on it.

She doesn't understand what we go through with all these psych meds. We've all gotten caught in this web of psych meds. Doctors all willing to prescribe this or that to make you feel better. That does not make you an addict.  Your body is dependent on them. 

She sounds a little unhinged if you ask me. Who goes to these meetings for fun? Try not to worry about it, people just don't understand, and they never will. I've had all sorts of judgement too. Let them carry on is what I say. This process is hard enough without having to deal with toxic people.

That's not a friend. End of story.

Surround yourself with people that are good to you.

I've had people in my life who acted way less crazy than that, and I'm so glad that they're out of my life.

I'm done trying to argue with people about benzodiazepines, and I have only people in my life who believe me and support me. The rest can just f*** off, because this is a hellish nightmare.

I agree, considering getting rid of that friend as you don't need that negativity in your life right now. 

I am so sorry you HAD a friend like that, CorgiMom, she definitely is toxic and has a crisis of perspective and knowledge. Do you best to literally REPEL what she said. She doesn't know what she is talking about. She obviously needs to just take of her own issues and not be judgmental of what she doesn't understand. Who goes to all those meetings if they don't have those issues and need the support of a 12 Step group? Does she understand the definition of an addict? Yikes. So sorry you had to experience this ding-a-ling.

Thing is that her son was a hardcore drug addict. She knows what addiction looks like. She automatically assumes that I'm a drug addict because I'm weaning off a benzo.  Yes, there are people that are "addicted" or they misuse it. But, there is a huge difference as you all know.  She used to be this Christian type lady. LOL Now she's hanging out with some guy who's not her hubby. They smoke pot together. So ironic.  Yet she gives me grief over my daughter who smokes pot too. She's been a best friend for nearly 20 years now. We don't live in the same state now.  WE don't talk as much as we used to. It just hurt me that she would assume I'm using it for fun. 

People are complicated and everyone has their history. I know it's hard to ghost a friend of 20 years. But maybe you could just tell her when it comes to psych meds, and specifically benzos, she has no idea what she is talking about and it is hurtful to you, and if she wants to keep you as a friend she can either learn about benzos (benzoinfo.org is a great site) or she can choose to never mention her opinion on benzos ever again.

We talked it over and she apologized. She has no clue what we go through or what this med does to a person. She was understanding. She just automatically thought that since I'm "tapering" off it that I'm addicted to it mentally. My body is very dependent on it. But, in no way to do I take for the thrills.  No thanks.