Important Survey - Please Participate ×

A Question About Holding A Taper - Need Help

[Ne...]

I have read a lot about holding a taper when symptoms or circumstances get very rough.  I would really like to hear about experiences others have had in holding a taper where it has had POSITIVE results.  Not miraculous, just positive.

If you have had a POSITIVE experience holding a taper I  would really like to hear about your experience especially how long you held before symptoms stabilized (even a little) for you.  And then, once you resumed, did you slow down your taper or did you resume at the same rate.  I am at a 10% reduction of the previous months ending dose right now and I feel it may be too fast (listening to my body).

THANK YOU for any input.

Hi Grandpa,

I have held a few times. The first time was in the beginning of my taper. My Dr.  told me to cut 50%, at the time I did not know any better, so I did. I had horrible withdrawals and I held for 3 months. I eventually felt better, not completely withdrawal free but much better than I was feeling. My next reduction was 7.5% and I held with that too, was again having bad withdrawals. I think I need to  go very slow with much smaller reductions, like 3% per month. I have to say that I definitely and eventually felt better with a hold. Hope this helps..

Hello NewGrandpa

I have held a few times but not for long. I held for 14 days in early taper.  I did however slow wayyyyy down to 3-4% month at one point to let things settle and they did.  It has been a very mile taper since September 21.

Many on here have held and slowed down with success. 

As you said, listen to your body, your brain will thank you.

Hugs

I had one hold when my symptoms got tough and I held for 6 weeks. I started to feel some improvement after a month and felt back to baseline after 6 weeks. Prior to holding I was gradually reducing my taper rate over a couple of months. After holding I did not reduce my taper rate, I just continued at 7.5% which was the rate I had reduced to just a few weeks prior to holding (I was micro dosing). I decided not reduce my rate because I wasn't at this percentage for a long enough period.

Thank you very much Jelly Baby, that's very informative and helpful.  I've been tapering at 10% and symptoms have been pretty rough, mostly depression but a lot of anxiety too.  My doctor (with my concurrence) felt my AD had pooped out and we decided to cross-taper the AD away from Mirtaz. and back onto Amitrip. (which had worked for me for a long time in the past).  So far that cross taper is going ok and I feel the depression is lifting somewhat.  Doc suggested I hold the Klonopin taper until the AD is fully switched to Amit. (probably another month).  So your hold period sounds like it might work for me, plus the reduction to 7.5% because I think 10% is getting to be too much for me.  Thank you again.

I just held at 3mg Valium for almost a month as my symptoms caught up to me!  I also had a family vacation I had to take- so didn't taper due to that as well.  I felt much better after about 3 weeks, so after the family vacation, I started to taper again, but at a slower rate. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with holding at all- everyone is different and every time you taper, you never know what to expect!  I agree with your approach, listen to your body!