Looked Into Detox

[Za...]

Called a well renowned detox facility today and the lady on the phone said benzos were her drug of choice for over 15 years. I asked if she took them everyday and she said yes. I asked how her detox and recovery went and she said she did a medically supervised detox at that same facility and that she had no post withdrawal symptoms and that it's more common than not that they quickly detox people and they go on to immediately live happy and normal lives. This can't be true. What do you guys think? I feel like she's trying to get me in so the facility can make money.

Edit: Her specific benzo of choice was Xanax.

I'm currently on 4mg extended release daily and 2 mg instant release nightly.

I suppose we can't know for sure whether this was true for her but even if she did have a miraculous detox experience, I am suspicious about her statement that it is 'common' for most people who go through their program to do blissfully well.  And beyond that, I definitely wouldn't just assume that would be my experience too!

You are right Zach1981, she does have something to sell!!

No way to know.  It’s a coin toss possibky.  With the mass amount of prescriptions (even SSSRI are hard to get off) we would think a significant chunk of the population is withdrawing at all times. 

It could be true? You only really hear of people that have bad experiences, why would anyone that didn't suffer bother to join a forum to tell people? Don't forget the people suffering here are usually the worse case scenario and in the minority. I was personally talking to someone via PM that did a detox, and after a few weeks he just moved on with his life.

BUT, you also can't ignore the many reports of people having bad experiences and long protracted WD after using a detox facility. There is absolutely no way of knowing how your experience will be. As someone who CT'd I would say a slow taper would be the best approach, but the drugs were making me sick and couldn't have tapered, so can also see the appeal of the detox route.

I asked how her detox and recovery went and she said she did a medically supervised detox at that same facility and that she had no post withdrawal symptoms and that it's more common than not that they quickly detox people and they go on to immediately live happy and normal lives. This can't be true. What do you guys think? I feel like she's trying to get me in so the facility can make money.

Maybe, this lady was telling you the truth and she was lucky. She also works there now, so does she have a conflict of interest? IMO, she was the exception and not the rule if she was telling you the truth. The majority of ppl who try these places will have a bad experience, again IMO. I came close to dying in one in 2006 when I went to one out of pure desperation. I mean really think about it. What can they do or what do they know that can painlessly detox you off benzos. The fact is there is no easy, fast way to come off these drugs and recover quickly for the majority of us. Most ppl who go to these places are desperate, and these detox places take advantage of that desperation because they need customers to stay in business. I am sure they would love to help you get off these drugs painlessly if they could (it would be great for business), but I suspect they know they can't after treating many ppl on these drugs, but they are not going to tell you this because they want to stay in business.

Save your money and spare yourself the unnecessary more pain and suffering. DIY with a slow controlled taper with you in charge of your taper rate is always the best way, but even that will not be easy.

Good luck in whatever you decide tho.

Save your money and spare yourself the unnecessary more pain and suffering. DIY with a slow controlled taper with you in charge of your taper rate is always the best way, but even that will not be easy.

This was my thinking also AntiBenzo.  I didn't want to spend big bucks to be miserable when what I had learned here was a slow taper was best/less painful and even better ... free!  :thumbsup:

If there was a quick way to get off benzo's without strugling through withdrawal we would all know about it by now and most of us would not be here.

Absolutely positively did not work for me. I was in full blown cold turkey withdrawl after leaving. Medically supervised is meeting a psychiatrist once and then a nurses aid it was a week I lost with my children/husband/Dad. I regret it.