Embarrassing startle response!

[Co...]

Is anyone else jumpy and startle easily. I swear I about jump out of my skin over the tiniest things. I've had a few people ask me what's wrong and don't really know what to say. This withdrawal is giving me bad social anxiety. Does this happen to you?

[e8...]
Yup.  Super sensitive to noise or any disturbance and jumpy.  I became really good at having something in my back pocket to explain my behavior.  In a high stakes work situation where I might seem "off" I used the Covid vaccine excuse a few times in different groups. Other times I would say that I was tired or something like that. It was really hard to hide what was going on with me but I am a very private person and my preference was to tell my real feelings only to my spouse and this forum.  I also avoided some social situations.

I have been avoiding social situations as much as possible.  I have been telling them I have an unknown reason for hyperacusis and I’m just freaked out. 

CollieB,

For the first 6 months or so after I quit valium, sound was a big issue for me.  I was as nervous as a kitten.  I would jump out of my chair with even the slightest noises.  Very hard to watch movies, TV or listen to music. 

By 12 months off I was much, much better.  Now I don't even notice the same type of noises which used to startle me.  I can watch movies, listen to music etc.

I think it is because you are so sensitive to many stimuli because of benzos, not just noise, and your body reacts like all stimuli require a flight or flight response.

Hopefully you will get some relief soon.