Stupid Decision!!!!!

[co...]

I made a very stupid decision last weekend and have been embarrassed to talk about it.  I went out with my husband for dinner, was feeling good and decided to have a glass of wine (I thought it couldn't hurt as I was feeling OK)... well WRONG!!!!    OMG!  what was I thinking??????  I just wanted to be normal and enjoy a night out with my husband.  I woke up at 3am with the most horrible W/D symptoms ever!  That lasted until the late morning.  I was feeling better by the afternoon and was able to go to the store with him later that day. 

I don't think I will ever touch alcohol again!  Ugh!  mad at myself!

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better, I've seen some members get setback for much longer.  Alcohol can be really confusing to your brain, since both it and benoz's hit the same GABA receptors your brain can't distinguish between the two.  In fact, when alcoholics go through a medical detox they're given benzo's to keep them from seizing and delirium tremens, many call alcohol liquid benzo's.

Many members have been able to go back to their normal alcohol consumption when they recover but they start slow to test the waters. 

It doesn't seem like there was any long-term harm done so everything should be okay.

Instead of being mad at yourself hold on to that memory with your husband of what normal life looks like to get you through your taper. We have enough to deal with, no need to berate ourselves over mistakes as well. Glad you recovered so quickly!  :smitten:

Yes, that's a great idea!  Thanks to you both.  I certainly learned my lesson and can't wait to be able to go out again with my husband and enjoy a glass of wine someday!! 

I was with my wife at dinner yesterday.  She had a glass of wine and I had water.  I know the feeling.  I guess we need to wait.