I am new here

[je...]

Hi,

I am joining this forum because I am currently tapering off of 6mg Ativan per day using the Ashton Method to valium. After several months I am now taking 4mg Ativan per day and 15mg valium. Also the doctor prescribed 10mg prozac for this.

I was given all this medication by doctors who thought I had mental illness and needed it along with ECT and many other medications. But after reading about the stories of withdrawl and dependency, I believe I have been made much sicker from the medication.

I am suffering terribly, and I need support and help because I feel I will not be able to survive this. I am totally unable to function normally. Every day I wake up in a panic, I have a child. I feel scared, lonely, and am watching my life and my old self fall apart bit by bit.

Please, i need some hope, I need to believe that I can get better. I have many questions.

Thank you for anyone who is willing to talk with me.

Hello jennytapering, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You sound so miserable, but please know we understand what you're going through so you're not alone anymore.  Many have realized like you that it wasn't some strange illness or mental condition that makes us feel like this, its the medication and you're very wise to taper from it so you can get your life back.

So you're in the middle of making the switch to Valium, this is a good thing, it should be a smoother taper than the Ativan, I'm glad you've found a supportive doctor to help.  I hope he'll let you taper at your own pace once you've fully crossed to the Valium, some members have found the Ashton taper a bit too rapid but its all individual.

I'll provide some links but please talk to us, we're here to help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Thank you so much for the reply.

I hope I do get my life back, this is very scary :(

I will look at the links you sent.

Thank you again,

Jen