Anything else to avoid aside from alcohol?

[al...]

Hey everyone, I'm 39 months out and still suffering pretty badly. I had an acute-like wave this last week after finding out my cat has cancer and I had to take him in for surgery to get a tumor removed. My anxiety has been horrible ever since, like borderline acute-level anxiety but without the agoraphobia. I'm getting to a point where I'm at a complete loss for why this process is taking so long for me when other people on here seem to heal so much faster. I used to have 1 or 2 beers maybe once every 6 months during the first 2 years of WD, but since then I completely stopped that because I was worried that it was impacting my overall healing timeline. The further out I get in this process, the more I worry that I'm doing something in my daily routine to cause myself to be stuck in this state and not heal. Like maybe it's a supplement I'm taking, something I'm eating/drinking, or maybe I'm exercising too much. I know stress causes waves, but I can't just make stress magically disappear. Life happens, and it has to be dealt with. Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience they can share?

Well I am 34 months off.  No waves, no windows, no sensitivities.  Just slowly healing.  Am I better then acute yes.  Stress well mine is not going away either and no I can’t do anything but cope. Have you reached out to a therapist?  My sx are the pacing, anxiety, constant scrolling phone, intrusive thoughts and burning vibrating nerve pain.  If I m out of the house or busy  I do best.  So I am doing that.  Any thing to get my mind off this crap.  I was told by my therapist that if I choose to make wd my life and my reality then it will be.  I don’t want to be here and this is not my reality.  I wish I knew what to do for us.  But I don’t and neither does anyone else.  I have spoken to 3 benzo coaches , exchanged emails with BIC, and every person I could find and was told nothing that could help stop this.  It’s very hard for those of us who have to maintain work, families and not stop. I am sorry you are having waves as I don’t understand them.  I don’t have them it’s just constant for me.  But it is nothing like acute.  I don’t know if it gets better for us.  Boomboxboy Meganz and lots more have healed in time. Literally each person I followed is healed and not on here anymore so I hope for those of us still suffering it gets better.

Just keep going and as we have been told over and over….it’s time damn time. 

Take care and distract anyway you can. 

U

Al,

First I want to say I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. They're  little furry members of our family and mean a lot to us. I hope everything turns out well with the surgery. So I can understand why that would cause stress. It's really hard to say if something you're doing or taking is holding you back. I guess by process of elimination you could maybe figure it out. I know it's not easy. This whole process does just take a while and some people might take a little longer. Our central nervous system is so sensitive and until it gets strong enough it's just more difficult to process stress for some of us.  Hugs!

LiveLife

I’m 39 months off zopiclone.  I wish I knew why it took some of us so long, I have tried distraction, mindfulness, brain retraining, hobbies, therapy, CBT, exposure therapy, got library full self help books, so all right stuff, but improvement glacially slow. I had lot emotional stress last year, which for me delayed things, so would imagine the stress about your cat isn’t helping.  I don’t think it’s anything you are doing wrong just luck of the draw. I don’t drink so don’t know if alcohol would affect things. I find mental symptoms take longer to improve, as really hard to try fight against your own brain. But really don’t think you are the one delaying recovery .

Well I am 34 months off.  No waves, no windows, no sensitivities.  Just slowly healing.  Am I better then acute yes.  Stress well mine is not going away either and no I can’t do anything but cope. Have you reached out to a therapist?  My sx are the pacing, anxiety, constant scrolling phone, intrusive thoughts and burning vibrating nerve pain.  If I m out of the house or busy  I do best.  So I am doing that.  Any thing to get my mind off this crap.  I was told by my therapist that if I choose to make wd my life and my reality then it will be.  I don’t want to be here and this is not my reality.  I wish I knew what to do for us.  But I don’t and neither does anyone else.  I have spoken to 3 benzo coaches , exchanged emails with BIC, and every person I could find and was told nothing that could help stop this.  It’s very hard for those of us who have to maintain work, families and not stop. I am sorry you are having waves as I don’t understand them.  I don’t have them it’s just constant for me.  But it is nothing like acute.  I don’t know if it gets better for us.  Boomboxboy Meganz and lots more have healed in time. Literally each person I followed is healed and not on here anymore so I hope for those of us still suffering it gets better.

U

U, really appreciate the reply. I'm in the same boat--Definitely better than acute, but it's like after that I somehow got stuck and it's just been a series of ups and downs ever since. It's hard to see things clearly when you're in the thick of it. I've actually been seeing a therapist since January of 2019 (yes, I was seeing a therapist in-person during acute and let me tell you, it was just as crazy as it sounds). Totally agree that we just need to keep going and our day will eventually come--I just hope I'm not doing anything wrong in the process to make it take longer than it needs to! It's hard not to get paranoid about it sometimes.

Al,

First I want to say I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. They're  little furry members of our family and mean a lot to us. I hope everything turns out well with the surgery. So I can understand why that would cause stress. It's really hard to say if something you're doing or taking is holding you back. I guess by process of elimination you could maybe figure it out. I know it's not easy. This whole process does just take a while and some people might take a little longer. Our central nervous system is so sensitive and until it gets strong enough it's just more difficult to process stress for some of us.  Hugs!

LiveLife

LiveLife, you are so kind--thank you so much for the message! My cat has been pretty much my sole support system throughout the entire process of being on these terrible meds, and the WD aftermath that seems to go on forever. It can be so scary when these stressful life situations come up, and you have no idea what the consequences will be in terms of the wave that comes about as a result of it. It's like adding even more difficulty on top of an already tough situation, you know? You're exactly right that he's basically family, so it's been so hard to deal with this on top of the daily ups and downs of WD. Hugs right back to you!

I’m 39 months off zopiclone.  I wish I knew why it took some of us so long, I have tried distraction, mindfulness, brain retraining, hobbies, therapy, CBT, exposure therapy, got library full self help books, so all right stuff, but improvement glacially slow. I had lot emotional stress last year, which for me delayed things, so would imagine the stress about your cat isn’t helping.  I don’t think it’s anything you are doing wrong just luck of the draw. I don’t drink so don’t know if alcohol would affect things. I find mental symptoms take longer to improve, as really hard to try fight against your own brain. But really don’t think you are the one delaying recovery .

You and me both Leann. I have never been so healthy in my life--I exercise regularly, changed my diet, have a regular sleep schedule, you name it. I even stopped taking anti-depressants almost 2 years ago that were actually helping with the WD symptoms because I thought that might be interrupting the healing process. I feel like I'm driving myself crazy blaming everything I could be doing wrong on myself to make this process take longer. I just don't get this at all. Really appreciate your message and hope this nightmare ends for us both soon.

I avoid caffeine, excessive exercise, sports and energy drinks, naps, hunger, and try to avoid stress(not always possible) but stressful event can set me back for a day or 2 or more..

I avoid caffeine, excessive exercise, sports and energy drinks, naps, hunger, and try to avoid stress(not always possible) but stressful event can set me back for a day or 2 or more..

Thank you, all good tips! I drink one cup of coffee every morning with breakfast and it hasn't caused any symptoms to flare up (that I know of anyway), but definitely avoid all the other things you mentioned.

You and me both Leann. I have never been so healthy in my life--I exercise regularly, changed my diet, have a regular sleep schedule, you name it. I even stopped taking anti-depressants almost 2 years ago that were actually helping with the WD symptoms because I thought that might be interrupting the healing process. I feel like I'm driving myself crazy blaming everything I could be doing wrong on myself to make this process take longer. I just don't get this at all. Really appreciate your message and hope this nightmare ends for us both soon.

Do you get windows at all? I’ve only had one brief one I really don’t think it’s anything we are doing wrong. Driven myself mad trying different things. Does help to know we are both similar timeline. I think being made to CT contributed to mine, as I was fine on zopiclone, but had no choose. Some people say symptoms just suddenly started easing. Really hope things soon ease for you. Hope your cat is OK too.

Do you get windows at all? I’ve only had one brief one I really don’t think it’s anything we are doing wrong. Driven myself mad trying different things. Does help to know we are both similar timeline. I think being made to CT contributed to mine, as I was fine on zopiclone, but had no choose. Some people say symptoms just suddenly started easing. Really hope things soon ease for you. Hope your cat is OK too.

I do get windows a couple times per month, but they are pretty brief. I want to say they usually last a day or two at most. I also follow the symptom pattern of them being worst in the mornings and gradually burn off throughout the day, but for whatever reason sometimes they go into the evenings as well. I also CT'd too (and then kindled a bunch afterward) so that is probably why this is taking so long for me. I was OK at first on benzos for maybe the first year, but after hitting tolerance I started to get so sick and had to stop taking them. I'm still glad I stopped of course, but certainly wish I was more educated on this whole process, tapering, WD, etc. I hate playing the whole would have / could have / should have game since what's done is done, but the consequences are rough.

Al,

You're welcome and I completely understand how you feel. I'm sure hoping that your cat recovers very nicely and can be there to support you the rest of the way. Especially if he's the main support system. We all need someone. Though animals need care, they can bring a lot of comfort. I'm sure hoping this wave settles down for you ASAP. Good healing to you!

LiveLife

U

Hey what did benzo coaches told you ,did  the say everyone heals??

I find carbs, sugar, plant toxins such as Lectins, Amines, Tannins, Trypsin inhibitors,

Salicylates, Oxalates, Sulfites, benzo ates, MSG, Non protein amino acids, Glycosides

,Akaloids including solanine and chaconine, Triterpenes,Lignins, Saponins, Phytic acid, and Isoflaones, shortenings... That kind of stuff when it comes to food really revs me up.

Here is a site with know supplements and medications which rev up symptoms as well. Everyone's experiences and exposure to them will be different however so keep that in mind

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements

I find carbs, sugar, plant toxins such as Lectins, Amines, Tannins, Trypsin inhibitors,

Salicylates, Oxalates, Sulfites, benzo ates, MSG, Non protein amino acids, Glycosides

,Akaloids including solanine and chaconine, Triterpenes,Lignins, Saponins, Phytic acid, and Isoflaones, shortenings... That kind of stuff when it comes to food really revs me up.

Here is a site with know supplements and medications which rev up symptoms as well. Everyone's experiences and exposure to them will be different however so keep that in mind

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements

Thanks for sharing this! I managed to find coffee and Ashwagandha on the list, which I periodically take when my anxiety is bad. I also eat THC/CBD edibles sometimes to help with insomnia. The information on here is really interesting. It makes me think about something on this list causing symptoms to increase vs. actually delaying your healing. I've definitely had what I would consider legit setbacks before with medications like antibiotics, but if something on this list causes your symptoms to increase, is that the same thing as delaying your healing? It's so hard to tell.