Exercise question

[Be...]

I think I know the answer to this question but would like to know if any others have experienced it...

Increasing exercise can cause a wave consisting of akathisia and insomnia and head pressure right?  Exercise was helping me but I recently starting pushing harder and harder and now having a really bad wave.  I need to know if the exercise could be what did it?

Thank you,

Hi,

I worked out harder when I wasn’t’ going through tapering and withdrawals.  I’ve adjusted my work out and exercise to longer but more moderate.  I noticed that if I pushed hard, it seemed to cause symptoms to linger longer.  For me if feels like my body didn’t know the work out was over and I stayed at a heighten muscle and nervous intensity.  I do a lot of stretching before and after..

I find anything outside is very helpful, gardening, walking, swimming bike riding but I try not overexert.

Hope this helps as exercise for me has been the most beneficial during this process.

Yes, I have definitely noticed that a day or two after I push myself physically, I go into a wave of burning and tingling and feeling like I have the benzo "flu". It's something I've picked up on from journaling.  It's so frustrating because I want to improve my fitness but apparently I'll have to do that at snail's pace to keep the waves at bay.  Take it easy.

Any type of physical activity can make my symptoms worse. I'm doing better overall so I still exercise when I can and pay for it later if I have to. I usually get air hunger.

I did a lot more exerting exercise before I started tapering.  I keep it moderate and do a lot of repetitions.  You’ll get very fit and toned by exercising longer without over exerting.  Muscle toning and building is really moving the muscle over and over with some resistance.  I try to burn off the uncontrollable adrenaline surges-who knows if it works. 

I also find espson salt lavender soaks are good.  There’s magnesium in the salts that helps with inflammation but don’t use too much or soak too long as I’m learning the central nervous systems gets thrown off easily.

Walking, stretching and light weights if you must....intense activity increases cortisol which is hard on our sensitive CNS.

I'm 2 yrs plus off meds...been doing good activity for awhile, but like an idiot decided to do three 100 m dashes in under an hour. because I felt good enough to do it. And I had the strength and did it well.

Holy crap I was in a wave for two days after that. Way too intense for my system yet. My body just couldn't regulate back to equilibrium well yet.  ::)

So moderation is key.

Hello all,

Yes, I only do light yoga and Pilates 4-5 times/week… and I noticed sometimes the workout would bring on increased heart rate and palpitations that I didn’t feel prior to benzos, and I slow down my workout to continue… this of course sometimes brings on anxiety, and I might feel jittery the rest of the day… all my heart tests are normal though, so I blame the withdrawal…

Karla

Thanks for all your kind feedback.

I had been walking every day with no problems (up to 5 miles a day).

Then recently I started riding my exercise bike at high intensity for about 15 minutes a day.  After about 6 days is when I got hit with the akathisis and insomnia and head pressure.  Along with everything being too bright/too loud. 

Maybe if I take a short break and then start slower, and work my way up?  Has anyone been able to work their way back to being normal again?  Prior to benzos I could ride the exercise bike for 40 minutes.

Yes i was able and could do a more strenuous exercise but for the time being moderation is best.  That’s fantastic you are walking that far outside, I’ve found that i am basically symptom free when I’m outside exercising , especially with my dogs.  Nature and exercise release/produce the feel good chemicals in use.  I had/have problems in the evening and will Espsom salts, upbeat music and some yoga to relax before bed, if i still have problems sleeping , i don’t stay in bed awake, i get up and take the dogs for a walk

When i feel my legs are tight bc of w/d, i focus my exercise more on that area to wear out and loosen the muscle.  Honestly, for all the exercising i do I’m in pretty good shape and my dogs get lots of attention-if there is a benefit to w/d exercise is mine.:))