RIDICULOUS DOCTOR QUOTES---ADD YOURS HERE

[Ma...]

When I went in to discuss how I had unknowingly become addicted to Ativan he says...

"Well you know Brett Farve is addicted to pain pills don't you?" As if I just entered into some elite group or something!  :idiot:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [...]

• [...]

• [...]

I have one to add too. After my doctor said it was fine to cold turkey xanax and I was extremely ill and confused and calling him and asking for help, he told me to "Quit acting like Michael Jackson and get it together".  Yup I am not making that one up unfortunately!

Oh my gosh! He said that?  >:(

• 2 weeks later...
[1a...]

Here are a few...

"You need to increase the Benzo, won't hurt you"

"You will be on it for life" --- this one I'm starting to believe.

"May need to put you on a mood stabilizer soon"

There's more, that's just a few out of the 8 years I've now been on them.

Keryn.

The old benzo for life..ack...no reason to believe that man..:) That is almost as bad as the "you need benzos or AD's like a diabetic needs insulin"..they use that one alot too...

Why would you want to take something that damages your CNS for the rest of your life....unless absolutely medically necessary? And if this is the case..I completely understand that....

TC

[1a...]

The old benzo for life..ack...no reason to believe that man..:) That is almost as bad as the "you need benzos or AD's like a diabetic needs insulin"..they use that one alot too...

Why would you want to take something that damages your CNS for the rest of your life....unless absolutely medically necessary? And if this is the case..I completely understand that....

TC

Tc, Hello

No, I am tapering, just slower... No, I don't want to be on this for the rest of my life.

I cut 1mg every month, and I still have 28mg to go, but I'm coming down from 4-5mg of klonopin a day.

Keryn.

PS- the only reason, I find if someone may need a Benzo for life, maybe epilepsy etc.. as I know ppl who have been on them for 30 or 40 years.

Keryn,

Yes, I know that in some cases it really is the best option for people with certain conditions. I don't think benzos are horrible if used short term or for cases like that. I made the mistake of taking it for sleep, I really should have reserached.

It sounds like you have a pretty good taper plan that will allow you to heal alot on the way down. :)

TC

CW,

A good response to your doctor could have been..."Quit acting like Micheal Jackon's doctor." :)

TC

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm so socially inappropriate these days I can't even tell if it is wrong to laugh at that.  Man, I loved MJ.

Here is my quote:

Me:  "Doctor I'm totally addicted to these benzos, I need help tapering off of them"

Doctor:  "It was irresponsible for you to get addicted to them, you need help"

Me:  "YES!  I need help!  Please help me ween off these benzos! (which HE prescribed from the beginning without fully informing me)

Doctor:  "You got yourself into this mess, you can get yourself out of it

Then he hung up on me  :pokey:

I should have known he was not to be trusted when, after seeing him for a year, he walked me out of his office and whispered in my ear, 'you need more dopamine, dopamine makes sex SO HOT'  :nono:

[1a...]

Keryn,

Yes, I know that in some cases it really is the best option for people with certain conditions. I don't think benzos are horrible if used short term or for cases like that. I made the mistake of taking it for sleep, I really should have reserached.

It sounds like you have a pretty good taper plan that will allow you to heal alot on the way down. :)

TC

Hopefully this time.. I can taper off better. Thanks.

About the Benzo's, I agree if needed only short time.. as the label says.

K.

After pretty much what was a cold turkey off 4 mg of Klonopin, I had a seizure and ended up in the hospital. My doctor came in to talk to my husband and I and said he wanted to reinstate me on the Klonopin, I of course wouldn't have it,

so he said "Then I will give you Ativan",

I said "Isn't that just another benzo?"

He said "yes, but it's not nearly as addictive and you will have no problem getting off of it"....

2 weeks later after accepting the reinstatement of ativan (I had no idea at that time, I hadn't found benzo forums) I go back into his office with my husband and..

I say "Doctor, I did my first taper off the Ativan and it started withdrawal all over again",

He says, "well of course, Ativan is a benzo too, their all addicitive."  ???    :tickedoff:

After pretty much what was a cold turkey off 4 mg of Klonopin, I had a seizure and ended up in the hospital. My doctor came in to talk to my husband and I and said he wanted to reinstate me on the Klonopin, I of course wouldn't have it,

He said "yes, but it's not nearly as addictive and you will have no problem getting off of it"....

2 weeks later after accepting the reinstatement of ativan (I had no idea at that time, I hadn't found benzo forums) I go back into his office with my husband and..

I say "Doctor, I did my first taper off the Ativan and it started withdrawal all over again",

He says, "well of course, Ativan is a benzo too, their all addicitive."   ???    :tickedoff:

My doc first put me on Xanax and then switched me over to Klonopin like 4 weeks into it saying that Klonopin "wasn't as addictive."  YEAH RIGHT!!!

[1a...]

He says, "well of course, Ativan is a benzo too, their all addicitive."   ???    :tickedoff:

My doc first put me on Xanax and then switched me over to Klonopin like 4 weeks into it saying that Klonopin "wasn't as addictive."  YEAH RIGHT!!!

Venus, I noticed in your sig. line you said you were having tolerance w/d from Klonopin, same was for me after peaking 5mg, but when I started cutting, I felt better... is that the way you did, or?

I'm asking cause some ppl don't feel better after a cut, I for one do...

Keryn.

Venus, I noticed in your sig. line you said you were having tolerance w/d from Klonopin, same was for me after peaking 5mg, but when I started cutting, I felt better... is that the way you did, or?

I'm asking cause some ppl don't feel better after a cut, I for one do...

Keryn.

Hi Keryn, honestly I don't even remember what cutting Klonopin was like.. but overall I feel MUCH better.  I don't have nearly the amount of outbursts and crying spells that I had when I was on the K.  That stuff makes you crazy!  I tried a few times to cut waaaay to fast because I had no idea what I was doing, and I failed miserably at it- so I certainly didn't feel better doing that.  I will say that switching over to Valium was not particularly difficult and that I generally felt better on the Valium than the Klonopin- like I said, that stuff makes you CrAzY!   :crazy:  LOL

Whew! Where to begin? I was on a very low dose of ativan while pregnant, and I had to see a psychiatrist to find out whether I could still take it. It went a little something like this:

Him: "You have ruined your baby's life. It will come out deformed and retarded. You need to take an SSRI"

Me: "I can't take SSRIs. I took Zoloft for 10 days a couple of years ago and had around 39 listed side effects"

Him: "Millions of people are taking SSRIs! How is that you are the only one in the world who has problems with it?!"

I wonder where he got his info. And, by the way, my baby came out healthy, beautiful and brilliant.

Psychiatrist I'm currently seeing:

"You'll be completely off these drugs in 2 months." Uh huh, no problem after 180 mg of ativan per month.

"Do you want to go to the methadone clinic to get off them?"  :idiot: Sure! No, wait...last time I checked, benzos and opiates aren't quite the same thing.

I said, "I want to come off these pills, but I'd rather not die in the process. I've been taking 6 mg of ativan a day for the past two years!" He said "So? You're on 4 valiums a day!" Four 2 mg valiums a day! Do the math, dude...

Then he asked if I want to go back on Ativan. Oh, absolutely! Who wouldn't after being off them for 6 weeks?

And more brilliance in the math department

"So you want off these drugs, but slooooooooowly? Take 2-3 valiums per day. I'm giving you 75 pills. You can do this and I'll see you again in 3 months." Thanks a lot.

• 3 years later...

100 lamictal.15 abilify.1500 depacote 2 klonopin.....

You are on a few mild drugs....I have patients who are on 8or 10 drugs...so dont be scared.....

Your brain is not producing right chemicals......

You are on a few mild drugs....I have patients who are on 8or 10 drugs...so dont be scared.....

OMG  :laugh: I wonder what that Dr was on  :2funny:

this isn't really a quote but i thought what my doctor did was quite silly .

i would be sitting up on the examing bed, he would check my throat with his hand , and put his stethescope on my back and tell me to breathe , after that we just talked , so what my Dr did was he put my hand on my back and tell me the patient  to sit on a chair meant for a family member to sit on while the Dr sat down on the edge of the patient bed  :laugh::2funny:

after that we talked for 5-10 minutes i usually had notes written down so i wouldn't leave anything out about my health to talk about

My doctor told me, when I went into w/d that if you can't get off, "Sometimes people just need to put a pill in there mouth."  He also said, I was blocking my ability to cut .25 mg of K every week, that I needed to go talk to somebody. This is the same doctor that prescribed 1.5 mgs of Klonopin to help me get off of 2 mgs of Valium that I was weaning myself off of. I told him I couldn't sleep and I had one panic attack.

Jenny

One Dr. after me refusing to take another AD, "What's happened to you in your life that you're so distrustful of Doctors?!" ... asked with an incredulous look at his face!

Neurologist after he couldn't reach a diagnosis, "I can refer you to a psychiatrist, maybe you have Conversion Disorder".

Him:  "So you want to be both Dr. and patient?"

Me:  "No, I want to partner with you in my healthcare"

Him:  Speechless, horrified silence

:idiot:    :2funny:

[1c...]

Me:  I would like to wean off of the 200 mg. of zoloft I was prescribed

My Psychiatrist: No, you can't do that, you are going to take that for the rest of your life for your anxiety

(I weaned off completely without telling her with no problems)

Everyone, please note:  This thread is from early 2011, almost 4 years ago... ::)

....so most of the OP's are no longer on the forum.

Everyone, please note:  This thread is from early 2011, almost 4 years ago... ::)

....so most of the OP's are no longer on the forum.

ESTHERSMOM is digging for old treasures, reminds me of my grandma. (only joking ). :laugh: