Adrenaline dumps?

[De...]

Does anyone suffer with adrenaline dumps mainly when standing up and walking? I'm 5 months out from a long painful taper where I was bedridden for months at a time...I'm slowly building up my strength and endurance but am struggling with these horrible dumps that leave me feeling shaky, anxious and just awful needing to head back to bed quickly.

I experienced them a lot periodically throughout my recovery. It almost felt like you could feel the adrenal glands pumping it out. Going for walks or moving helped me expend some of that excessive energy even though I felt really horrible. It may take awhile for you to feel the benefit, but try to expend some of that energy whenever you feel it taking hold. Wish I knew a quick fix but that was all that really worked for me.

Try your best not to get worked up about it or your anxiety will feed into it even more. It is horrible to feel physically exhausted and wired at the same time, but it is a transitional phase in recovery that will pass.

I experienced them a lot periodically throughout my recovery. It almost felt like you could feel the adrenal glands pumping it out. Going for walks or moving helped me expend some of that excessive energy even though I felt really horrible. It may take awhile for you to feel the benefit, but try to expend some of that energy whenever you feel it taking hold. Wish I knew a quick fix but that was all that really worked for me.

Try your best not to get worked up about it or your anxiety will feed into it even more. It is horrible to feel physically exhausted and wired at the same time, but it is a transitional phase in recovery that will pass.

Thanks for the response,  I've been trying my best to push through them...just wish they would give me energy instead of draining it from me.

Here is an experience from benzo.org.uk by Carol Packer

A lot of our withdrawals are caused by the effects the drugs have directly on our brain and nervous system. Most of you have heard of the 'Fight or Flight' response, which is the body's reaction to any threat real or imaginary. This response can be turned on by too much stress, fear and, of course, drugs. A large part of withdrawal feelings are anxiety and panic sometimes to unbearable degrees. Always remember this is not you but the way our bodies and brains react to these chemicals and withdrawal from them. It has been scientifically proven that anxiety and therefore adrenaline levels in withdrawal can be up to 6 times higher than normal so its no surprise we feel terrified. These levels of adrenaline will return to normal but it takes time. The drugs knock out our own stress coping chemicals in the brain and so in withdrawal we have to wait not only for the drugs to leave our system but for our own chemicals to begin working properly once again and of course the speed at which this happens is different for everyone.

As soon as extra adrenaline and cortisol are released into the bloodstream several changes take place. Our breathing rate increases to give the brain and muscles more oxygen, the heart beats faster so you get palpitations, blood pressure rises, you sweat more, sugars and fats are released into the bloodstream to give extra energy, our muscles go tight and tense and our mouth goes dry. Originally this system was to keep us safe and we either fight the danger or run from it and therefore the excess adrenaline was soon used up and we returned to the normal relaxed state. This is more difficult in withdrawal due to the higher levels of chemicals and we often feel too tired or anxious to do anything. I know it's so difficult but we must try to get rid of some of this adrenaline. I don't mean running around the block but gentle exercise, even walking up and down the stairs a few times or gentle aerobics (if you can), anything sensible to use up the adrenaline, yes even sex, apparently that's one of the best ways!!!

Of course when we feel this way any extra stress even minor will cause our nervous system to react. This is normal in withdrawal, eventually you will be able to cope again. It is easy at this time to try to ease the dreadful feelings with excessive smoking or drinking or even the odd tranquilliser again, but PLEASE RESIST this as it will slow down your recovery and prolong withdrawal.

Another feeling you may have when you have excess adrenaline etc is anger (this can be frightening if you are normally a placid person) and you can also become very irritable and agitated, tearful and have obsessive thoughts and irrational fears and phobias.

Overbreathing can cause many symptoms also, so if you can find a good book or teacher so that you can learn to correct the breathing this will help a great deal as this will enable your body to relax and regain its equilibrium whilst calming your mind so that your anxiety and its related symptoms will disappear.

I know first hand how frustrating it is to be told to learn breathing and relaxation but please try – even if it's only 5 or 10 minutes a day to start with. It does work but not overnight. Visualisation helps too if you can do it. Remember not to get too frustrated if the effects are not as good as you hoped as these things will begin to work better the further you get from the drugs so stick at it. Keep telling yourself this is all caused by withdrawal and will leave but time is the main healer although you can help it along by learning as many self-help techniques as possible. I wish I could tell you a certain date that you will recover by but we are all different. Our body chemistry is individual to us and our circumstances are different but what I can tell you is that provided you stay away from any mood-altering substances, YOU WILL RECOVER from the side effects and withdrawal symptoms these drugs have caused.