Saying goodbye to Xanax

[Mr...]

I was prescribed 2.5 mg of Xanax a day at the end of 2021. After about 3 months of this, I started having sleeping issues in the middle of the night. My doctor subbed 1 mg of valium for 1mg of Klonopin at night. I decided I didn't want to be on the medicine anymore after a week. I dropped the Klonopin and had some really strange symptoms afterward.  I searched around for different resources on discontinuation and found this site. I have been tapering down over the last couple of months, hoping to be done with this medicine for good this summer.

Hello Mr Cypress, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You're so wise to get off of these drugs now, so many of our members have been on them for decades when even the manufacturer only suggests using them for 2-4 weeks.  As for strange symptoms, these drugs produce some nasty ones for sure, chapter 3 of The Ashton Manual will list them.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but this should be driven by your symptoms, using them to guide your taper will hopefully keep you functioning.

Let us know how we can help you, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)