Why are mornings significantly worse than the rest of the day?

[Es...]

Hello! This is my second post on here and I’m still navigating this site, so bare with me please. :)

My amazing boyfriend took the “jump” off Klonopin a month ago after tapering for a few months. He originally was prescribed 2mg and was on it for over 10 years. Every second of the day is a struggle for him, as I’m sure all of you are unfortunately very familiar with. He has been through absolute hell the last few months. However, mornings when he wakes up are significantly bad. These dark thoughts and urges, major depression and low self worth, anxiety and fear, self hatred just completely consume him. It hurts to see someone hurting so bad and not know what to do. There has got to be some kind of scientific explanation as to why this is so much worse upon waking up.. I’m wondering if anyone knows why? I’ve done a lot of research and feel I have a good understanding of what physically is happening in the brain during benzo withdrawal, but I’m wondering what the science is behind what goes on in the brain while he’s asleep that makes him wake up in such a different state. I’m hoping by having some insight, maybe I could find a way to alleviate it. Has anyone else experienced worse anxiety/dark thoughts/depression in mornings significantly worse than other times of the day as well, or found anything that helps?

PS. He just came out of an inpatient facility a couple of days ago, and even though mornings are extremely difficult he has been really pushing through and getting out of bed, helping me make fresh juices in the morning, and then walking to the gym and exercising. A week ago I don’t think he would have thought that he could do this. I know with the pain he’s (and all of you are)  in, it takes a lot to find the strength. I can see how this just cripples a person and makes you feel like it’s impossible to do anything. But getting up and moving as opposed to laying in bed waiting for it to pass has helped him. He still suffers immensely, and Maybe it’s just a distraction, but regardless it helps. I REALLY notice the difference. I just wanted to share that incase anyone else needs that motivation. I know I can’t speak for everyone and sometimes rest is what your body needs. As I say to him, your brain is literally regrowing itself - That takes a lot of of energy from you! When he beats himself up over things I always tell him to give himself the same grace he would someone else who was recovering from brain surgery, or any other major injury. This is more complex yet not as highly recognized. So I just wanted to remind you all how strong you guys are. True superheroes.

Hey, I think mornings are terrible for most of us, it has to do with the release of cortisol. My mornings are also terrible, I also try to go to the gym, exercise, do something at home so as not to think too much. Happy birthday, I think it will pass with time ...

Your ability to understand and also be there for someone going through this hell on earth experience is really amazing. I can definitely say my mornings are just as you described. I’m going to speculate on part of what’s going on with the brain. All of us that have over used these medications flooded our brains with too many important neurotransmitters for too long causing the system to down regulate and not recognize them unless large amounts are present from medication. When the meds are removed you immediately drop your synthetically high levels of neurotransmitters leaving your brain to go without them. And as we see we are obviously not designed to handle that which is why these medications are so dangerous/ terrible. Mornings are hardest because you don’t wake up refreshed, it’s just like a repeat of a really bad day/week/month you’ve already been having. Once again thank you for being there for someone who is suffering, it means everything to us.

Thanks so much for the insight and responses you guys. I was reading more about cortisol and it makes a lot of sense that an influx of this upon waking up could be making things (more) difficult. Going to try some adaptogenic herbal teas before bed, and see if that gives any kind of relief. If anything helps I will post in here. Thanks again!