6 Weeks Off Xanax and Doing Better Every Day

[Gi...]

I agree with Rogerthat's encouraging post today.  :thumbsup:  More people need to come back sooner to post positive stories.  My experience since jumping is very similar. 

Today marks 6 weeks since my last dose.  After 23 years of taking Xanax  4-5 times a day, my taper took 2 years and 5 months.  The most difficult withdrawal took place during the taper.  This was in keeping with what I had I read in the book "Xanax Withdrawal". 

Since jumping in April my sleep isn't the best, but it's not the worst either.  I average  6-7 hrs - but sometimes get just 5 and once in awhile I'll have a wonderful 8 hrs.    BUT, this probably has to do with my age more than anything.  My husband has identical sleep issues. 

I had some trouble with muscle pain the first few weeks but that's gone now.  Turmeric helped.

I've had bouts of anxiety off and on that I would call minor.    I learned right out of the gate that distraction is a really good thing, even if it's negative.  :o  As I posted earlier,  the first day off Xanax my DH had a cardiac event and I had to rush him to the ER.  I hadn't driven in ages, much less at night.  He ended up staying in the hospital 4 days and having angioplasty while I drove back and forth to see him.  He could have died.  To say this was a test of my ability to handle mega stress on the FIRST day and week of quitting Xanax, would be an understatement!!!    But I was amazed at how calm I was, even though I didn't sleep a wink the first night.  For sure I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms,  but being distracted and having to be responsible for someone else's care took my mind off it.    Had this happened when I was on Xanax, I doubt I  would have been able to handle it alone.   

My anxiety episodes since jumping have definitely gotten fewer and easier to handle.  I'm learning better coping skills in dealing with it.  Everyone on the planet experiences anxiety.  It's how we perceive it and respond to it that makes the difference. We don't have to believe the lies it tells us and allow it to bully us.  It's not gonna kill us. 

Everyday is getting better. 

What a joy it is to read your post and thank you for joining in the positive movement, our members need hope and I need to remember that not everyone will be tortured with severe symptoms once they jump off of the drug, so thank you again !  :thumbsup:

How is your DH now, I would imagine he's experiencing some vulnerability?

Thank you Pamster! 💜  My husband’s doing fantastic!  He’s a runner and is still running  8 miles a day (at age 71!).  He only took 2 weeks off during his whole ordeal!  They put in 2 stints because his arteries were blocked (99% on one!), so his energy is amazing now. His cardiologist said he’d be bored with cardiac rehab and to just keep running.  😀 Thank you for asking!