Permanently damaged from benzos?

[ri...]

Is it possible that my numerous attempts to withdraw and 11 years on the benzo have completely damaged my nervous system possibly permanently? I can’t believe these symptoms. It has me very angry that I’ve been feeling terrible for so long, and I’m at .25 mg of Valium with no relief. I have gotten moments where I felt really good in the last month, but then it comes back super brutally. I thought this long taper and switching to Valium would make me feel great, but sometimes I wonder if a CT would’ve been easier. What is the point of tapering if it doesn’t give relief? Please advise

Thank you for the suggestion, but there is no way I will try another benzo after the Klonopin and Valium. I’m at only .25 mg of Valium. My body is extremely sensitive to changes in manufacture, liquid, etc. I just want to be done with this drug. It is insane to have to go through this after being prescribed and told there is no risk in taking it.

I tapered too fast and think I have paid a price for it. If I could do it all over again I'd cross over to valium and do a slow taper.

If 0.25 mg is a livable dose for you if it were me I'd stick there for awhile then try to go down again at a later date. There's nothing wrong with hanging around at the same dose while your body accommodates.

No matter what amount I’m at I have symptoms. Holding and going slow doesn’t help. I don’t know why my body can’t tolerate this.

No matter what amount I’m at I have symptoms. Holding and going slow doesn’t help. I don’t know why my body can’t tolerate this.

Were you symptoms under decent control when you first crossed over to valium?  What are your worst symptoms?

Ridethrough I'm kinda feeling the same way. Been trying to get off this last bit of klonopin and it's like the symptoms are getting worse. Been trying to taper down from .125mg since March.

Nathan, I’ve had intense symptoms since about 2015 or 2016. It was tough when I crossed over to V, but it’s definitely gotten a bit more intense at the end of the taper. I’m wondering if I’m in acute withdrawal since I don’t notice the small piece of the V doing anything. My worst symptoms are lightheaded/dizziness, derealization, fatigue, chest pain, numbness, palpitations, feeling out of it, exercise intolerance. I’ve had occasional full body shaking during this taper.

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with similar intense symptoms as you’ve tapered, CollieB. I’m hoping there is relief after the acute phase. I don’t know how long that will go on for me. Because I’ve been off just over a month in 2013 and 10 days last summer, I’ve never experienced relief from the acute phase. The uncertainty adds more fear for me.

canaanstongue01, I can’t wait to jump and get over with withdrawing. Theres just a lot of fear of what happens in acute withdrawal.

I think that benzos can cause permanent damage for some. At the very least they can cause a long, protracted painful existence filled with horrible mental and physical symptoms. They do significant damage to the nervous system. The healing begins once you get off them, and yes, acute can be insanely difficult but if you know that it will pass, it can empower you through it. I know people fear acute, and justifiably so, but sometimes you have to go through the fire to get brought to the other side. Sometimes there is no other way. Hopefully it will not be as bad as you fear. That being said, take your time and hold at where you are if you need. There is no hurry.

I tapered way too fast by going off 1 mg in 3 months and I caused myself severe damage. I am 5 years off and my cognitive impairment issues are pretty bad, though I have some good days. I would never recommend anyone CT because I think it can cause serious long-term effects. But since you are pretty low already, I think you are in a much better situation to jump off.

Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom, TaterTot. I will feel more confident this time knowing that the symptoms ease up. I sure hope I gave my nervous system time to adjust to the reductions.

Before withdrawing off Clonazepam I stopped Lamictal (Anticonvulsant) cold turkey and experienced symptoms I thought I'd never come back from. I began taking Clonazepam daily because of those symptoms then tried to cold turkey Clonazepam before I understood how dangerous benzos were. I got back on Clonazepam and slowly tapered off. I've always been really sensitive to changes in medications and I thought my symptoms from both cold turkey attempts would be permanent, but they eventually went away. I’m 2+ months off Clonazepam and only have slightly more anxiety than before I started taking medication, but it is also fading and there are many days I feel normal. It can take a long time to heal, but I believe it's 100% possible to completely heal.

Hello sorry you’re not feeling better.

I also crossed over to Valium from Klonopin when I was doing my taper and I still remember the end was difficult. I finally decided to jump off at 1Mg V ( Dr Ashton says that is ok) and then things started to get better. It took a whole year to totally recover but the withdrawals and the crap from tapering was finally over and every day was better mostly. It’s been a while but I do remember that it took finally making the decision to get off those after all those months of tapering that got me on the road to healing.

I was in the Valium\ Ashton support group and they were very helpful. I don’t know if that group is still here or not. But if they are you might consider joining them.

Sending you healing thoughts!