How do I sleep??

[Wa...]

I took 1mg Xanax for around 20 years as prescribed to just “turn my brain off “ for sleep.  I was never told about dependence or tolerance. I tapered off for 3 weeks and my last dose was 14 days ago.  All the ugly withdrawl is over and physically I feel great but I cannot sleep.  This causes serious anxiety and ruminating thoughts. 

Hello Wantstosleep,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you have joined the community!  Kudos to you for letting Xanax go - well done.  The lingering insomnia after getting off benzos is rough and many of our members struggle with this.  I used benzos for sleep for over 20 years and it took a year or so to adapt to sleeping without them.  For me, the worry about not sleeping only made things worse.  We have aboard dedicated to insomnia with lots of helpful information and the link is below.

After you get your footing, you can begin posting.  Ask questions if necessary and let us know if you need help. 

Again, welcome,

Kate08

Insomnia

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

Is anyone out there?  I have not slept a full night in 2weeks. Looks like this is my 4th no sleep night.  How long can I do this?

I believe your ruminating thoughts and anxiety aren't a bi-product of your sleeplessness, I think they're withdrawal symptoms because they're very common.  The only cure we've found so far for these horrible symptoms is time so the best thing you can do is distract yourself from them and accept that sleep will return when you recover.  For many, insomnia is the last symptom to leave and since you've used the drug for so long it will take some time for your body to learn how to sleep on its own.

This post makes some excellent points and offers suggestions for getting through this. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

Congrats on getting off after over 20 years of use in only 3 weeks. That was quick. You said>>>

All the ugly withdrawl is over and physically I feel great

What w/d sxs did you have? How much were you sleeping when you were still on the xanax and how much were you taking?  How exactly do you feel now? Do you have that all over body exhausted feeling but mind wide awake and brain refuses to ever shutdown feeling?