30 year K user

[Be...]

Hi everyone.  60 yo retired pharmacist.  On K for my entire career.  I'm here to weigh my options of tapering and wd's or simply staying the course of 1mg/day.  Tried the usual pharma way, but that was WAY too much for me to handle (actually did 8 weeks 0.5mg then 8 weeks 0.25mg then ct off).  My plan:  use the next 6-9 months to prepare physically, mentally/emotionally to attempt a roughly 2 year taper (or less if that's a thing...obviously pretty much everything I learned about benzos in school including tapering is total bs).  I want to gather as much info about proper diet, supplements, sleep (which is mostly non-existent right now mostly due to trying to get back to some semblance of maintenance dose...hopefully somewhere between 0.5mg and 1mg) Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Hello Beaniemon, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time tapering, I get it, I quit cold turkey because I didn't know they needed to be tapered so I'm pretty sure I know what your rapid taper felt like.  I hope you  can find a dose to get stable on and good for you for knowing you need to do this.  After the shock your body has gone through you need to prepare for another attempt.

We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% or whatever your symptoms will allow, we know you need to stay functional so keeping a record of your symptom severity with each reduction should help you determine the next one.  Of course all the planning in the world can't guarantee a pain free taper but we do what we can.

I'll provide some resources for you to look at and some links to the forum where you can hopefully find answers as well as camaraderie for the challenge ahead of you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Pamster and thank you for reply and encouraging words!

Sorry for my delayed  response...been gleening as much info as possible...ie. stuff i was never taught or learned as a pharmacist.

So I reinstated on 10 May and have been titrating back to 1mg K (which I'm back on for 2 weeks now).  Still not stable.  Am I kindling at this point?  or should I stabilize in a couple more weeks? last thing i wanna do is go any higher to avoid adding more time to my prison sentence.

Another question:  do some people my age (60) and length of use (20+ years) decide to simply stay on the meds?  and are they succesful down the road?

[2e...]

Hi everyone.  60 yo retired pharmacist.  On K for my entire career.  I'm here to weigh my options of tapering and wd's or simply staying the course of 1mg/day.  Tried the usual pharma way, but that was WAY too much for me to handle (actually did 8 weeks 0.5mg then 8 weeks 0.25mg then ct off).  My plan:  use the next 6-9 months to prepare physically, mentally/emotionally to attempt a roughly 2 year taper (or less if that's a thing...obviously pretty much everything I learned about benzos in school including tapering is total bs).  I want to gather as much info about proper diet, supplements, sleep (which is mostly non-existent right now mostly due to trying to get back to some semblance of maintenance dose...hopefully somewhere between 0.5mg and 1mg) Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Beaniemon,

I did a 2 year, 4 month taper off 2mg/day of K after using as prescribed for 15+years.  It wasn't an easy taper but manageable 98% of the time.  I walked off almost two months ago and feel great. I'm so happy to be off and I do feel like I'm getting back my life.  For me, I tapered off because I do not want to be physically dependent on anything.  I didn't want to get into a situation where I am at the will of a doctor who could retire or die and I would have to find someone who will prescribe--if anyone does anymore.  I also feel better off it.

Hey Pamster and thank you for reply and encouraging words!

Sorry for my delayed  response...been gleening as much info as possible...ie. stuff i was never taught or learned as a pharmacist.

So I reinstated on 10 May and have been titrating back to 1mg K (which I'm back on for 2 weeks now).  Still not stable.  Am I kindling at this point?  or should I stabilize in a couple more weeks? last thing i wanna do is go any higher to avoid adding more time to my prison sentence.

Another question:  do some people my age (60) and length of use (20+ years) decide to simply stay on the meds?  and are they succesful down the road?

It sounds like you've been busy, but what do you mean by not stable?  We define stable as able to carry out your daily tasks, or that your symptoms have quit changing, they've become more predictable, it doesn't mean feeling good.

I wouldn't worry about kindling in your situation, we have a couple of definitions but because it hasn't been extensively studied in relation to benzodiazepines we have to rely on the alcohol studies and it doesn't look like it pertains to you.

Kindling - The Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices

https://benzoreform.org/kindling/

Kindling - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition

https://www.benzoinfo.com/kindling/

Staying on the medication is certainly an option but it depends on your quality of life.  Some have reached tolerance and life becomes unmanageable at that point, they can't continue to updose so tapering off is the only choice they have.

I took 2mg kpin for 30 years also. Failed a 9 month taper and re-instated. Then tapered for 2 years and have been off for 5.5 years now. It was very rough, but doable. I am one of the worst cases too. You can do it. Stay positive and always reassure yourself that you will be fine.